X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Speed sensor connection to rear spoiler

Originally posted by Digibeam
    @RT

if you like i will make a system for you if you like with the manual override switch option, most automotive relays are designed to be operated for long lengths of time, and for this system it is for various times when driving at certain speeds, but another option would be a solid state relay system... no coils involved... hence near zero draw.

i seem to recall you are using window actuators for the rear spoiler, if you could pass on the specs of the unit you are using i will work it out for you.

@No-Bull
    sounds like a good idea, i thought that already had been made by someone, but if there is an interest in them i would be happy to put something universal together for window control,

thoughts anyone on that idea?

have a great weekend !!
    Digibeam, let's talk...
    First things first. Have we met? I know I meet a lot of really nice people at Carlisle but as far as I know nobody has said; "Hi, I'm Digibeam" so it is hard to put a face to a name. Help me out a little here. Do you have a picture site with a pix of you?
    If you could/would make a solid state system, how much would that cost, how big would it be ( I have very limited space), and what information would you need from me? At this point I am considering that additional feature of an automatic wing flap activation but admit I sometimes think I have to stop adding "stuff" to my build and just FINISH IT. I REALLY need to get it done for the next Carlisle.
    Thanks,

RT

Comment

@RT

no, i am sorry to say we have never met in person, and unless you find yourself in Vancouver BC some day, it might be while before we do meet.
      But in saying that, i have followed your build and all your great information you have offered over that space of time !!

what i need from you is the specs on the motor you are using, the output level of your control computer and the type of switch and configuration of your present switch.

from that i can put something together, replicate the final build and if you like it, figure out a value and send it your way.

it will be small as i usually deal with surface mount technology, so it would fit easily in a small space...

you might also be interested that i have decided to go ahead and design the auto window control to open the door windows slightly before the door opens and closes after the door closes.

Comment

I am going to start the MCU device this week as an open source project. The more people working on it, the faster it is going to be made.

Comment

sounds good, we will end up with options for people to choose from !!

peace ...

Comment

http://www.rx4speeding.com/Speed_Act...V_SAS_24V.html

something like this work?
            1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
            1985 Fiero GT Northstar
            1985 Fiero GT 3800

Comment

Originally posted by Jbrown
              It might, but at $85, it is a bit much. We should be able to get this down to well below $50.Maybe closer to $25.

Comment

this is good for the trigger, the post system still has to drive the spoiler / motor / limit switches etc.

so, nothing is going to be free, but it shouldn't be too much for the whole system.

Comment

As a EE, I should be doing more LRC circuits, but have gotten efficient (aka lazy) and moved to microprocessors. They are crazy cheep now days and adding more functions is just a line or two of code away. For prototyping and low volume production, I can get a MCU out the door quick. For higher production and lower cost, I go back to LRC circuits.

Comment

Madskilz-

I am late to this post and it might have already been answered... What exactly are you trying to accomplish - an airbrake, downforce, or a cool look? If you are looking for an airbrake, you need to be activating the spoiler only when you want to slow down from high speed. If you are wanting downforce, you only want to activate the spoiler when cornering hard enough to create a certain amount of lateral g's. If you activate the spoiler from the "rest" position (least drag), you only want to do it under certain conditions.

If you just want something cool to show people, then all the above triggers will work. If you want something that actually improves cornering or braking, the spoiler needs to be computer controlled and you need to be going 60 MPH+ (preferably 120+) to get any benefit from a moveable spoiler.

The guys at aeromotions - http://aeromotions.com/products/s-series/ are on the right track, except with the size of their spoiler, you need to be going like 140 MPH. eek. The spoiler in their slalom demo would have absolutely no effect, but it looks cool in a video.

The only way to get one to effectively work is through the use of a accelerometer and VSS combination.

Good luck.

Comment

496fe,

I'm just having fun. The flap is so small that it will have little or no effect on the car at any speed.
                      I did hear that some have signaled the flap up when they apply their brakes and return down when brakes are released. That would give a "fun factor" for the guy following you.
                      As an aside, the shape of the wing is just like an airplane wing; flat on the bottom and curved on the top. That shape is meant for lift. Usually rear wings (or spoilers) are meant to give downforce so you have traction. This wing seems to be contrary to what we want. Then when you raise the flap you cause the air under the wing to curl up at the rear before meeting the air over the wing and neutralize the lift. I am just a novice at aerodynamics and could have this wrong but I don't think these rear wings do much for us other than the "cool" factor anyway. For me that is enough. I don't expect to go fast enough to have it matter.

RT

Comment

I would have to agree with RT, for the most part these wings.spoilers, air brakes and such are more of the "cool factor" and bragging rights to say "hey look what my car can do"
                        few if any, have the requirement or the speed that requires a motivated spoiler for downward force or even air-braking for that matter and at that, if you plan on using just the built-in flap that is cutout on the murcie bodies and such... the glass will happily show you its ability to fracture and even fly on its own as its ripped from its mounts due to velocity over function.
                        and although the last line might seem to contradict what i said about capacity and requirement, it is a reflection on a non-reinforced wing that is hardly fortified enough to withstand aggravated use and demand as would be placed on something genuinely designed to do the job of downward force and air-braking.
                        my 2 cents...

peace.

Comment

I wanting mine just because the original has one and it'll look really cool moving up and down as I'm zooming down the road.

My car won't be raced and I doubt if I ever take it over 100 Mph so the downforce stuff on my build doesn't really bother me.

Chris

Comment

Buy a PC mouse take the Micro switch's out,put one on top gear mech. so it clicks the switch in then run the wire to a second switch on your accelerator pedal work out about were X MPH would be have an adjustment on it , and run wire on to the actuator.
                            so you have + into the gear switch and onto the + to the go pedal and + on to the spoiler.
                            the spoiler can't engage unless you are in top and when you push the pedal past x MPH the switch juices up the spoiler , maybe extra switch on 4th ??
                            Could also fit a Time delay to keep the spoiler up as you slow down.
                            don't mark the position on the pedal as you drive along because some one may thing it a driver-less car if your head is under the dash.

Comment

以下是我希望对您有所帮助的部分。

-------------------------------------------------- --------------------

我的步进电机网站:skysmotor.com-机械设计?-?步进电机的发展

必要性是发明之母。-作者不明。

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X