Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

about ready to cut the headlight lenses..got any tips or cautions I should heed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about ready to cut the headlight lenses..got any tips or cautions I should heed?

Hey there....I'm about ready to cut the headlight lenses for a Murc replica. Got any tips or things to look out for or is this pretty much straight forward? I'm not ready to mount them yet, but what did you use for adhesive and what if any rubber gasket is the best to use?? Thanks.

Re: about ready to cut the headlight lenses..got any tips or cautions I should heed?

measure twice, cut once? ;D

Comment

Re: about ready to cut the headlight lenses..got any tips or cautions I should heed?

Hi Notnilc20, keep the protective film (or saran wrap even) on to keep it scratch free. Then you might first lay the piece over the mounting flange and match the curve of the piece with the body. Looking through, trace the flange with a Sharpie leaving a little room. Sand down to the line with coarse grit paper and block, finish sander, etc. and keep going until one side fits flush. Keep this as the anchor side and repeat for all sides. It really is a diamond in the rough so take your time and you will get a great fit.

Mark Clapp

Comment

I've found that blue masking tape also works well when cutting and it provides a surface to draw your cut lines on without marking up your parts.

Chris

Comment

Make a template of heavy construction paper first and make sure it fits perfectly then trace the template onto your glass and cut. Make sure you also use a poly carbonate type of glass like Lexan. Try to avoid plexiglass.

Comment

Thanks everyone....good advice here.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X