and this option to make a kit???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: and this option to make a kit???

I use alot of the smooth-on products including the tin and platinum based silicone, and yes as long as you mix the proportions correctly its a walk in the park, then backing the silicone with a hard material to keep the form...
    but up here at least its upwards of $300+ for a 10 pound pail and that isn't going to go very far.
    though you can get alot of pulls from it.
    key to saving the mold is having it baked out after it is made. the silicone needs to be put in an oven possibly if you know anyone that does powder coating, they have large ovens to do the job.
    the baking helps cure the mold. and after that it can be used for hundreds of pulls.
    cant say i have ever thought of making such a large mold with silicone like that, i would imagine you would add a thickening agent in order to apply it, otherwise you would have to turn off gravity for a while....

thank you for sharing that idea, i might give it a try and let everyone know

Comment

This is an interesting idea. Although the cost would be extremely high. I would imagine the silicone would need to be quite thick in order to pull this off. (no pun intended).
      My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
      http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
      http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

This isn't an idea, it's a tried and tested method that I've personally used a couple of times before. The cost isn't even that bad I wouldn't say it cost much more than taking a decent set of grp moulds, and a lot less than a respray! It only needs a thin coat of silicone (and yes obviously it has a thickening agent in it) and the rest can be done with standard grp as long as you can work neatly. I only use the UV pre-preg because I can get it cheap through work and it cures within an hour.

I think people are getting confused with standard silicone moulding which would cost an absolute fortune to do a whole car and for a lot of the panels it just wouldn't be practical. If anyone doesn't understand what I meant you could always youtube 'silicone glove moulding' or something along those lines

Comment

rofl

never heard this being done.
          you got some balls m8, i wouldn't dare.

very keen to know how this ends. pictures plz.

Comment

Cover the panel with packaging tape the clear stuff you use for cartons etc and drives you mad when you can't find the end. make sure you cover every part I would get a hand held roller try not to over lap the joins to much, glass over it let it set and peel off, employ a kid to take the tape off your hand as you go should be almost as good as the real thing just need to touch up the mold where tape joins/ ripples were.
            also good for doing joins in F/glass put a strip across the back of the join rub to make sure it is firm do the join on the other side peel of tape and it will be as smooth as glass

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X