Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 917kit
    replied
    Cover the panel with packaging tape the clear stuff you use for cartons etc and drives you mad when you can't find the end. make sure you cover every part I would get a hand held roller try not to over lap the joins to much, glass over it let it set and peel off, employ a kid to take the tape off your hand as you go should be almost as good as the real thing just need to touch up the mold where tape joins/ ripples were.
    also good for doing joins in F/glass put a strip across the back of the join rub to make sure it is firm do the join on the other side peel of tape and it will be as smooth as glass

Leave a comment:

• daartechniek
    replied
    Re: and this option to make a kit???

rofl

never heard this being done.
    you got some balls m8, i wouldn't dare.

very keen to know how this ends. pictures plz.

Leave a comment:

• 8c
    replied

This isn't an idea, it's a tried and tested method that I've personally used a couple of times before. The cost isn't even that bad I wouldn't say it cost much more than taking a decent set of grp moulds, and a lot less than a respray! It only needs a thin coat of silicone (and yes obviously it has a thickening agent in it) and the rest can be done with standard grp as long as you can work neatly. I only use the UV pre-preg because I can get it cheap through work and it cures within an hour.

I think people are getting confused with standard silicone moulding which would cost an absolute fortune to do a whole car and for a lot of the panels it just wouldn't be practical. If anyone doesn't understand what I meant you could always youtube 'silicone glove moulding' or something along those lines

Leave a comment:

• MacGyver
    replied

This is an interesting idea. Although the cost would be extremely high. I would imagine the silicone would need to be quite thick in order to pull this off. (no pun intended).

Leave a comment:

• Digibeam
    replied

I use alot of the smooth-on products including the tin and platinum based silicone, and yes as long as you mix the proportions correctly its a walk in the park, then backing the silicone with a hard material to keep the form...
    but up here at least its upwards of $300+ for a 10 pound pail and that isn't going to go very far.
    though you can get alot of pulls from it.
    key to saving the mold is having it baked out after it is made. the silicone needs to be put in an oven possibly if you know anyone that does powder coating, they have large ovens to do the job.
    the baking helps cure the mold. and after that it can be used for hundreds of pulls.
    cant say i have ever thought of making such a large mold with silicone like that, i would imagine you would add a thickening agent in order to apply it, otherwise you would have to turn off gravity for a while....

thank you for sharing that idea, i might give it a try and let everyone know

Leave a comment:

• cliffscustomfab
    replied

im not sure of all the different places to buy these mold materials 8c is talking about but i do know of one place

smooth-on.com

they sell all kinds of silicone based mold materials and foams.

8c is deffinetly right in what he is saying. not to mention the speed in which you can mold something with this stuff. if you cant use something like this. then i would only use epoxy, it shrinks very very little if at all. polyester on the other hand will and that is where you can get damage. even the highest grade of resin like i use will have some shrinkage, even though it is not much it will cause damage. and then the chemicals in the polyester can cause the paint to lift. which has happened to me before. not sure if epoxy would but that is a big chance to take. silicone is the way to go

Leave a comment:

• 8c
    replied

Nope, no tricks or special skills needed. It's just a matter of using the right materials. No time to do a full write up at the moment but it's essentially a silicone glove moulding system with a UV light curing pre-preg glass as a hard shell structure. Very easy to work with and almost no risk of any resin/exotherm damage to the original panels because of the silicone surface. If anyone's worked with silicone they'll know how nice it is to work with. No release issues, it'll peel straight off the oem panels without leaving a mark. No complicated multi-part moulds as silicone can deal with quite complex undercuts. Very easy clean up if there's any excess.

Obviously these won't be used for a set of production moulds but they will be able to make a few sets of panels out of them. Ideally you'd pull a set and fit them to a car before taking your master set of production moulds.

I never said it'd be a cheap way of doing it, but wayyyy cheaper than a respray on an exotic!

Leave a comment:

• kitcar bud
    replied

Yes...so what is this method...I am intrigued...to say the least!

Leave a comment:

• Digibeam
    replied

@8c

soooo what is your method then? or is this a bait and trap to get us to buy your "copy exotic cars quick" technique?
    <jk>

peace

Leave a comment:

• RHK
    replied

You can find some OEM panels on ebay - they aren't cheap tho...

You could also buy a 3d model and have one CNC machined. It won't be 100% accurate, but would be close enough that noone would know the difference:
    http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_s...0=0&search=f40

Leave a comment:

• 8c
    replied

there are a few ways to take a set of moulds from a car without damaging the paint, but making grp panels straight from the car is always going to be very very risky, I'd expect to budget for a respray if I was going to go this route because no matter how careful you are grp can still cause all kinds of issues. I work in very high end composites for the some of the biggest motorsport teams in the world and I still wouldn't be willing to risk taking a grp mould straight from an oem panel without causing it any damage. there are way around it though. if you have access to the car you want to mould then it can be done in just a few days with no risk of damage. laser scanning and then milling the plug is another option but it can get incredibly expensive and time consuming. taking a 3d scan and turning it into a 3d object is no where near as easy as it sounds when you're talking about something as complex as a car. it'll take hundreds of hours of manipulation be very skilled people to get the surfaces ready to be cnc'd, and when that's done it requires good quality (expensive) foam and then fine finishing and painting, etc before a set of moulds can be made from that. all in all a very long and expensive process. My method is much much quicker and a lot cheaper too, with no chance of damaging the paint and still getting exact copies of the panels. it's all a matter of getting hold of a car to start with.

As for renting an f40 - no way. you just won't be able to do it. if you do find somewhere expect to remortgage your house to be able to pay for it! your best bet is plastic fantastic on this forum, he had the oem LM tooling i believe.

enzo designs are still around and working on bits and pieces. not sure what's going on with the website and ill-health message etc. but having spoken to them in the past few days about their next project I know they are still around and can be contacted at:
    theenzodesign@gmail.com

Leave a comment:

• patata
    replied

Anybody know if enzo design sell this mould or have any Mail after sell hin web?

Thanks

Leave a comment:

• 88.5countach
    replied

Maybe get it digitized, some of the scanners are getting affordable.

Leave a comment:

• ArashB
    replied

Paper mache might be safe to get your initial mold.

Leave a comment:

• giveitup2me
    replied

I truly doubt you can rent a f40 anywhere, and if you did, for two weeks would probably cost as much as a new Honda.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X