Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dman1409
    replied
    Right after my previous post I notced the update on ExtremeOC on the A3 window...

http://extremeoc.co.uk/index.php/top...18606.html#new

Below is a picture of the Audi a3 side glass which looks pretty good!! however, as I said before, the OEM quarters cant be used as the audi glass is longer and the curve of the A-pillar wont be lining up...

free image hosting

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied
    Originally posted by Don View Post
    Dman;

The height difference doesn't look like it is enough to go the incredible trouble and risk of taking a mold from a real 360. the one option you have is to keep the roof height the same on the kit and extend your quarter window opening on the kit to the same length, or close. The difference of 2 cm on height probably wouldn't be noticed and you can mask it somewhat by extending the quarter window length.

You still use your replica glass and lexan for the quarters though. You would cut the roof panel about 1 or cm up from the window edge top and then put a stiff but slightly flexible edge and shape the opening up to line up with the extra 3 cm or so length at the back. It doesn't meet one of your original requirements of using oem glass throughout but it does remove the potential of messing up a 360 paint job if you get the molding process slightly wrong......

Does my explanation make sense to you? I can draw up a quick image to explain what I am saying if I did not explain it correctly.

Cheers and good luck
    Don
    Hey Don,

Firstly, thanx for your input! A picture of what you mean would be very nice!

I am no longer taking the route of pulling moulds from the 360 because It is too risky as you allso say... I think I will take the route TRUKR describes ( please see the previous page) of fabricating the tray of the windshield first and further work on the shapes from there. I want my build to look as authentic as possible an I am willing to invest extra time for that... these challenges are what I like so much in building a kitcar ... hehe

At the moment I am reviewing options to use glass sidewindows from an Audi A3 (96-03) coupe... They are almost the same size as the lexan windows that are supplied with the kit.
    It has been done before... please see the linkt below... The Audi runners that make the windows go up and down are used in combination with the Peugeots electro motor...

http://extremeoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,2154.0.html

However, I don't think the Audi windows wil line up correctly with the rear quarters so I still have to use lexan rear quarters, which I do not prefere...

Until now it looks like when using OEM Quarters I will have to use OEM sideglass to have everything lined up correctly. using different types of glasse from other cars will disturb the lines of the car... To be able to use oem glass I would have to reconstruct/reengineer the A-Pillar and the system inside the doors... and then you have the money factor

So basically I'm looking at the following options :

Windshield:
    A) Chrysler Sebring windshield which I can cut to the correct size ( like Macgyver did)
    B) Oem windshield (Not sure if that will fit due to the front engine)

I would have to make a tray as TRUKR described on the previous page

Side glass :
    A) Use Audi A3 sideglass, which requires some adjustments to the A-pillar and modifications to the door system (which will be explained on the extreme OC forum by another builder shortly)
    B) Use Oem side glass, which requires reshaping the A-pilars and reengineering the system inside the doors (don't really know how I will be doing that yet... but here are some random thaughts:May cutting up the a-pilar into small strips as if you cut a sausage then weld the "discs"back together in the correct shape smoth everything out etc... or remove the entire A-pillar and reconstruct a new one by using a metal tube and fibreglass). OEM side glass allows me to use OEM quarters but that requires cutting out / refabricating the areas in the fibrglass rear quarter panels and maybe even adjusting the rear frame as there is a chance that the tubes will be visible.

Luckaly I have a real 360 where I can take measurements from whenever I want.. so that will be a huge advantage... (So if anayone needs any info, measurements or pictures, feel free to ask an I will help)

What are your ideas?? ( Ideas from other members are also welcome!)

Below I tried to make clear what my findings/ideas are... hope that help a little .. LOL

image url upload
    Last edited by dman1409; 06-05-2013, 08:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Don
    replied
    Dman;

The height difference doesn't look like it is enough to go the incredible trouble and risk of taking a mold from a real 360. the one option you have is to keep the roof height the same on the kit and extend your quarter window opening on the kit to the same length, or close. The difference of 2 cm on height probably wouldn't be noticed and you can mask it somewhat by extending the quarter window length.

You still use your replica glass and lexan for the quarters though. You would cut the roof panel about 1 or cm up from the window edge top and then put a stiff but slightly flexible edge and shape the opening up to line up with the extra 3 cm or so length at the back. It doesn't meet one of your original requirements of using oem glass throughout but it does remove the potential of messing up a 360 paint job if you get the molding process slightly wrong......

Does my explanation make sense to you? I can draw up a quick image to explain what I am saying if I did not explain it correctly.

Cheers and good luck
    Don

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied
    Here's is another one

windows automatic screenshot
    Last edited by dman1409; 06-05-2013, 04:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied
    Comparrisson kitcar vs 360 roofline

picture host

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied

windows screenshot program

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied

prntscr

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied

image hosting no account

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied

screenshot software

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied
    Update on this issue..

Have layed down the lexan quarter window of the kit on the real 360...

As you can see in the following pics that the roof of the kitcar is a bit higher aswell this is because the line of the rear quarter has to follow the line "A-pillar into roofline" of the Peugeot

image upload no compression
    Last edited by dman1409; 06-05-2013, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied
    Originally posted by Knight Rider View Post
    Have you thought about the possibility of buying this part genuine?
    you can do here: http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchRe...d=+&S=63246700 I think the part number is 63246700
    Roof upholstery..... Well that might be of some help indeed... What do you have in mind with that? Use it as a guidefor the shape of the roof?!

Thanx for the imput!!

Leave a comment:

• Knight Rider
    replied
    Have you thought about the possibility of buying this part genuine?
    you can do here: http://www.eurospares.co.uk/searchRe...d=+&S=63246700 I think the part number is 63246700

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied
    Originally posted by trukr View Post
    This is not worth doing without pulling the glass and seals. You get nothing but the very simple shape of the roof.

Take your oem windshield and use wrap to prevent scratches.
    On the cabin side of the glass use clay to mimic the cavity for the silicone used to mount the windshield.
    Fiberglass the entire inner surface of the windshield for strength.
    Fiberglass stiffeners to the area you will eventually cut out. This will help hold the shape of the tray until you build the rest of the roof and pillars.
    Pull your tray from the glass and use this to begin building your new roof.

The door glass will determine the angle of the windshield tray.

The rear quarter glass will follow the door glass.

Build your pillars.

Use the extreme roof panels as a base to tie in all your new pillars.

After it's all tied in and solid, cut out the opening for the windshield.

This can't be done without cutting the roof off your pug.

This is a lot of work, but atleast the work is useful and will be a part of your final product. Splashing your buddies roof will not give you any of the seats for any of the glass. It's pointless.
    Hi Trukr,

Thanx for these great tips!!!! I think that will be a very good idea to do!! I will seriously take this into considderation!
    I think your method can really work!!

Leave a comment:

• trukr
    replied
    This is not worth doing without pulling the glass and seals. You get nothing but the very simple shape of the roof.

Take your oem windshield and use wrap to prevent scratches.
    On the cabin side of the glass use clay to mimic the cavity for the silicone used to mount the windshield.
    Fiberglass the entire inner surface of the windshield for strength.
    Fiberglass stiffeners to the area you will eventually cut out. This will help hold the shape of the tray until you build the rest of the roof and pillars.
    Pull your tray from the glass and use this to begin building your new roof.

The door glass will determine the angle of the windshield tray.

The rear quarter glass will follow the door glass.

Build your pillars.

Use the extreme roof panels as a base to tie in all your new pillars.

After it's all tied in and solid, cut out the opening for the windshield.

This can't be done without cutting the roof off your pug.

This is a lot of work, but atleast the work is useful and will be a part of your final product. Splashing your buddies roof will not give you any of the seats for any of the glass. It's pointless.

Leave a comment:

• dman1409
    replied
    I came accross these threads on Extreme OC ..

http://extremeoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,2154.0.html

http://extremeoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,2013.0.html

The last thread is about trying to get OEM side glass in the peugeot. One post in particular I find very interesting from a member called "Snobear". I quote:

"They don't fit.

I took a mould of an original drop glass so I could form my own glass but there is a substantial difference; the angle of the A pillar on the Extreme is more acute than the original, its not as convex and its also slightly longer. I ended up having to construct a new mould pretty much from scratch".

What I notice is that everybody is first starting their build and when they reach the point of where they are almost done, think aout the windows.... that is exactly why I bring this issue up before I even start...

So what we have learned here so far is that even if you have a close match like the audi A3 Window, as described in the first link, alteration of the A-pillar is absolutely required... As I have to make adustments anyway I might as well make them for all the OEM glass..

What do you guys think??
    Last edited by dman1409; 05-22-2013, 08:14 PM.

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X