Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front mid-engine lambo replica, is it a good idea?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not to get into a debate on Fiero vs MR2, but a Fiero is a pretty easy stretch that can be done in a weekend. Wiring doesn't need to be stretched for a Fiero, except the taillight wiring, which is no big deal. Brake lines could be unbolted, with an extension pipe and fittings added in. I actually cut the metal brake tubing, spliced in a piece with compression fittings, since the OEM fittings did not want to come undone. Stretching the water lines was done with exhaust pipe and other hoses I found at the auto store for less than $20. The biggest hurdle was the shift cables, which I hear you can have made for a few hundred dollars. My stretch was 7 inches, so the accelerator cable did not need to be stretched.

The biggest thing about a stretch is to measure, measure, measure, tack weld a couple places, measure, measure measure, tack some more, repeat. It's not too difficult.

Comment

Originally posted by am33r View Post
      What are you exactly trying to make? that will help answer your question.

Are you trying to fool others that you own a lamborghini when you really don't? or are you just in the mood of building something with an exotic-cool factor? what is it?
      I know that this question wasn't addressed to me, but I can't help replying. I really just liked the lines of the Murci. My build follows the Italian design as much as I can because I have no design skills or talents. I don't go to extremes in trying to make it 100% just for financial reasons. I always explain to people what they are looking at. A typical remark I get is "Wow! I've never seen a Lamborghini before". To which I reply "You still haven't", then I show them what I have, a Lamborghini inspired body and interior with all American drive train and custom suspension and brakes. It is what it is.

Comment

I've actually decided I'd prefer a Gallardo replica. I think the wheelbase is closer to the MR2, and doing it Manual would be possible! Beside it looks less extreme and looks awesome in Verde Ithaca ^.^

RHK, How hard would it be to extend the MR2/Fiero for a complete noob? How do you refill the break lines (I'm pretty sure that is the noob-i-est thing I could have said, probably there's a reservoir for that? Please no hate comments, I'm still 14 lol). What water lines are you talking about? The water for the wipers? Is that located in the back? And would it be much different to extend a manual version? Would it be possible to extend the front area leaving break lines and most of the wiring intact?

am33r, I'll check that link you posted. That idea on stretching the replica to fit the car seems logical, especially on cars with small wheelbase differences... By the way, I've been looking for an MR2 3D model everywhere and I can't find one, Would you mind sending me a link for the one you're using there?

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Originally posted by RHK View Post
          Hmm.. as a replica, that looks pretty bad.

How about turning that camaro into this:
          The roof line is a perfect fit and looks really nice as seen in the right chop. The people need these re-bodies made!
          Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages.:cool: [url]http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts[/url]

Comment

I think you're onto something there - I'd raise the quarter panels a bit, to give the car a more aggressive slope downward as it goes forward. A lot of the front and rear bumper could be removed also. It's mostly just empty space. Build it, man

xengs, by water, I meant coolant/antifreeze. The Fiero has a radiator up front, with coolant pipes that go all the way to the rear of the car. In hindsight, you'd probably move the radiator behind the engine on a lambo replica, so the coolant lines are irrelevant.
            With the brake lines, the pipes themselves need to be longer since the wheels sit farther back. The lines are steel most of the way, then a rubber hose bolts in between it and the brake. You can just bolt in an extension piece if you can get them apart. After 20 years of use, mine wouldn't come apart. I just cut the pipe, and put a new piece in between the cut, then put compression fittings on the ends to tie it together. Putting the fluid back in is simple. Just fill the brake master cylinder, then bleed the brakes to remove any air (google search will show you how to do that.)

Comment

I wish I could, I have too many concept and no resources to start right away.
              I threw this LFA model over it for fun... http://i.imgur.com/UoAqLyu.jpg
              Here are my recent Camaro concepts
              Arashi - Camaro Donors (1993-2002) - YouTube

Am33r's mini Aventador concept but with other designs could look real exotic.
              Last edited by ArashB; 06-19-2013, 06:19 PM.
              Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages.:cool: [url]http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts[/url]

Comment

Yep. OP take into account the info from Dratts, RHK, arashB and me. It seems whether you go Fiero or MR2 to make the large body you could stretch a car from 'Disassembly' to Back-on-the-road in one weekend. After that keep in your build the essence of the italian car lines and as much OEM on the exterior as reasonable and make alterations to what you need to make it a pleasent drive.

Take into consideration the "Advantage of the New Commer" as those who build later get to see what the first ones did and how each puts in a touch that makes it much easier from 'sourcing parts' to 'better modifications'... best of luck

Comment

Thanks everyone! All that information is very helpful! I thought stretching a car would be rocket science lol :P
                  It seems easier now. Thanks again!

Comment

The answer is why?

CKI tried it with the Mercy 4 kit and boy that thing is a basket case!

Someone used also used a Dodge neon on a G28 body on Ebay and it didn't turn out to bad. That's the ONLY way i could see a front engined car being used on a mid engined car. Otherwise id go tube chassis. As much as I preach against getting a Tube chassis, its a better option than dumping in your money into a car that will look like crap.

Comment

I think a LH platform would make a better FWD replica. A Chrysler 300 or Intrepid for example is already wide enough and super cab forward. Maybe there is a good reason why it wouldn't work but it looks pretty close to me.

Comment

Originally posted by VF1Skullangel View Post
                        The answer is why?

CKI tried it with the Mercy 4 kit and boy that thing is a basket case!

Yea, I got to agree the mercy 4 was an embarrassment to all us murci builders. I had a front engined Gallardo built on the Saturn sky. It just didn't look right. That's why I got rid of it. The front end is just too long. Get a 911 and stretch it.
                        Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
                        White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
                        White Gagliardi Vendetta
                        Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X