Fiberglass Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fiberglass Question

I've been searching on how to use fiberglass, and found a video by 3M on fiberglass repairs.
    According to it, in order to create a fiberglass part ready to be painted, I would need:
    - Polyester Resin
    - Hardener
    - Body Filler
    - Primer Filler
    And since I'm making a mart and not repairing something:
    - Release Wax

Is that correct? Is there something I wouldn't need? Would I possibly need something else?
    Thanks!

Acetone to clean everything, and possibly some actual fiberglass might help too.
    I bleed styrene, bathe in acetone, and sparkle like a Cullen in the sunlight.

Comment

Yeah, dont forget your fiberglass mat. Also, you will need sandpaper. 40-60 grit for shaping, 150 for smoothing out and taking scratches out and 220 to get ready for primer.

Also a sanding block so you will have flat surfaces.

A Dual action sander if dont want to do it all by hand.

Cheap paint brushes 30 for $8 at harbor freight. Use these to apply the Resin.

The mould of the actual part you are going to make.

Comment

you need resin, matt, gelcoat, brush, roller, and acetone for clean up.

Comment

Add gelcoat to the list as well. Make sure you get the hardener for the resin. You use the same hardener for the gelcoat. You may also need to pick up a fiberglass roller to get the air bubbles out.
          My Projects:

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...y-project.html
          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...-facelift.html
          http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...430-build.html

Comment

Originally posted by xengs View Post
            I've been searching on how to use fiberglass, and found a video by 3M on fiberglass repairs.
            According to it, in order to create a fiberglass part ready to be painted, I would need:
            - Polyester Resin
            - Hardener
            - Body Filler
            - Primer Filler
            And since I'm making a mart and not repairing something:
            - Release Wax

Is that correct? Is there something I wouldn't need? Would I possibly need something else?
            Thanks!
            A plug is usually required if you require a mold, although sometimes its possible to fabricate mold from wood/filler, or alike.

Plug for rear custom seat:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	PlugsPlugsExample3_zps13afe0c9.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	374944

In addition:
            Eye protection.
            Eye wash.
            Breathing protection.
            Protective clothing/footwear.
            Syringes/Retail quality scales (I use 1% ~ 3% catalyst # Temp'/Pot life, weigh polyester , add catalyst by volume, although there are variations)
            Gloves, throw away, and re usable.
            Choppings/chopped strand/strands, for corners.
            Different from chopped strand matt, which comes in variations, I use 600 and split using thinner layers at first.
            Thermal properties of mold are worth considering, as are the working temperatures of any article.
            Also prefer to add color/pigment to Gelcoat, as it just seems to spread easier.
            Quality brushes for Gelcoat, or there is a spray system.
            Metal rollers are the bizz for larger/flatter areas.
            Mixing pots/ mixing sticks.
            If your shaping fiberglass, glass bubbles can added.
            Protective plastic sheeting/sticky tapes/blu tack/ card etc.
            More info:
            Buy fiberglass and composites supplies online UK - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies

Comment

Latex gloves!! LOTS OF THEM! and a suit maybe... unless you want to be able to put your trousers strait up in a corner when your done... Lol

And get 2 contrasting colours of gelcoat... 1 for the mould, 1 for the product.... I take black and white... This enables you to ensure you covered the entire mold in gelcoat..

Cheers
              Last edited by dman1409; 06-16-2013, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ncrazyballa View Post
                you need ... and acetone for clean up.
                right acetone to clean materials and tools, use vinegar if some resin gets in your hands, acetone will enter in your blood (not good)

Comment

What I alwas find anoying is the strands sticking to your fingers when there is some resin on them...

Any tricks to prevent that?!? Appart from keeping your fingers clean... Lol

Comment

Originally posted by dman1409 View Post
                    What I alwas find anoying is the strands sticking to your fingers when there is some resin on them...

Any tricks to prevent that?!? Appart from keeping your fingers clean... Lol
                    I usually have a wet rag of lacquer thinner in case I need to wipe my fingers off. I find that I rarely use Acetone. I almost always use lacquer thinner.
                    My Projects:

Comment

Latex gloves are awesome.

Comment

Of course I need fiberglass mat, forgot to list that lol :P
                        We do have acetone, and single-use gloves (Those white ones - Will they work?) already. So I would need those?:
                        - Polyester Resin
                        - Hardener
                        - Body Filler
                        - Primer Filler
                        - Release Wax

- Sandpaper (I love sandpapers lol)

- G
                        elcoat
                        - A Brush
                        - A Roller

And of course Fiberglass mat.

So. A couple of questions: First of all, why do I need gelcoat and resin? Don't they do the same? I think having a company CNC a 3D model out of foam would be the best choice, What do I need to cover it with? I was thinking of tape, but since you know so many other chemicals/materials you may be able to suggest something to prevent if from melting that wouldn't loose details (like the tape would).
                        Secondly, In the video they showed one thing called "Catalyst" that was added to the resin, I figured out this was a hardener. And then they used something they called "Hardener" with the body filler. But whereas the "Catalyst" was in liquid form, the "Hardener" was in some sort of paste. Are those two different? Do you need the liquid one or the "paste" one for gelcoat?
                        And lastly, what's the difference between body filler, and primer filler? Do I need both?
                        Thanks!

Last edited by xengs; 06-17-2013, 02:48 AM.

Comment

How To Mold Fiberglass & Composites 1 of 8 - YouTube

Check out this series of 8 videos... Great explaination of the entire process!

These helped me a lot... I also just started playing around with fibre glass...

Body filler is paste.... 2 component... (2% hadener)

Primer filler is a thicker primer... To fill up minor imperfections...

Foam:

Waterbased exterior house paint... When dry I apply body filler... Depending on what you are making you can add more layers so you can sculpt the desires shape..
                          Last edited by dman1409; 06-17-2013, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Posted this yesterday, apologies if going over old ground.

A plug is usually required if you require a mold, although sometimes its possible to fabricate mold from wood/filler, or alike.

Plug for rear custom seat:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	PlugsPlugsExample3_zpsc36b2862.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	374945

In addition:
                            Eye protection.
                            Eye wash.
                            Breathing protection.
                            Protective clothing/footwear.
                            Syringes/Retail quality scales (I use 1% ~ 3% catalyst # Temp'/Pot life, weigh polyester , add catalyst by volume, although there are variations)
                            Gloves, throw away, and re usable.
                            Choppings/chopped strand/strands, for corners.
                            Different from chopped strand matt, which comes in variations, I use 600 and split using thinner layers at first.
                            Thermal properties of mold are worth considering, as are the working temperatures of any article.
                            Also prefer to add color/pigment to Gelcoat, as it just seems to spread easier.
                            Quality brushes for Gelcoat, or there is a spray system.
                            Metal rollers are the bizz for larger/flatter areas.
                            Mixing pots/ mixing sticks.
                            If your shaping fiberglass, glass bubbles can added.
                            Protective plastic sheeting/sticky tapes/blu tack/ card etc.
                            More info:
                            Buy fiberglass and composites supplies online UK - East Coast Fibreglass Supplies

Best of luck.

Comment

Originally posted by xengs View Post
                              Of course I need fiberglass mat, forgot to list that lol :P
                              We do have acetone, and single-use gloves (Those white ones - Will they work?) already. So I would need those?:
                              - Polyester Resin
                              - Hardener
                              - Body Filler
                              - Primer Filler
                              - Release Wax

- Sandpaper (I love sandpapers lol)

- G
                              elcoat
                              - A Brush
                              - A Roller

And of course Fiberglass mat.

So. A couple of questions: First of all, why do I need gelcoat and resin? Don't they do the same? I think having a company CNC a 3D model out of foam would be the best choice, What do I need to cover it with? I was thinking of tape, but since you know so many other chemicals/materials you may be able to suggest something to prevent if from melting that wouldn't loose details (like the tape would).
                              Secondly, In the video they showed one thing called "Catalyst" that was added to the resin, I figured out this was a hardener. And then they used something they called "Hardener" with the body filler. But whereas the "Catalyst" was in liquid form, the "Hardener" was in some sort of paste. Are those two different? Do you need the liquid one or the "paste" one for gelcoat?
                              And lastly, what's the difference between body filler, and primer filler? Do I need both?
                              Thanks!

I would suggest you find a few fiberglass how to books and read them. This will give you a basic understanding of how it all works.
                              Body fillers polyester resin, polyester gelcoat, polyester primer filler all have a lot in common. They are all polyester based materials. Which means they all need a catalyst (hardener) in order to cure. The cream hardener you were referring too that comes with body filler has a MEK base. MEK in liquid form is the catalyst used in all the other products. Typically added as 1% to 2% depending on the product and the room temp.
                              It all seems confusing at first but is actually very simple. Pick up a good book and I’m sure you will gain the knowledge necessary to get you started. You tube can be very helpful to a point. Some know what they are doing, some don’t have a clue.
                              My Projects:

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X