countach roofline repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gumby;

I have not heard from Freddy in a bit but I also owe him some pictures of my rear quarter glass. I guess I should get that moving tonight. I will ask him for an update when I send him the pics.

Pilkington's contact has been posted on here a few times. Peter Swann I think his name is. Dale got pics of lengths form him recently so these might be worth while getting first to see if they are close to what your openings are or if you wan t to go for the oem sizes. I have Peter's contact info at home so if you need it, pm me your email address and I can forward along when I get home.

Thanks
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Here you are... again....

"You need to speak to Peter Swann, or Martin Allen at Pilkington Automotive UK.

Numbers for Peter Swann are +44 1795 596106, mobile +44 7802 204589. martin Allen email -
      Martin.Allen@nsg.com

If you deal with Pilkington, check that the side glass is correct and curved. Some suggest that the glass they have is not correct, and is for a Marauder kit car, similar to, but not identical to a Countach. I cannot confirm this, I'm just relaying the information. It has been told to me that we need the SP966 jig side glass, whatever that is. Again, confirm all fitments with them before ordering, is my advice.

K9
      "

We should probably nominate a SPC over here (I volunteer ) and maybe coordinate a group buy... BUT, do you all know that factory spec glass will fit your cars?

What about the $2k set mentioned on here?

K9
      K9COP
      Last edited by K9COP; 11-03-2014, 08:31 PM.

Comment

I am hopefull that Freddie will be coming thru with the real OEM sized and type glass, he said it was going to be a couple of months to production. It will be worth the wait as long it is the right size and tempered not laminated like Pilkington . I bought the front corner glass from Freddie and I will update here on the size and curvature when I pick it up. We cut the roof and jacked it up and it looks like we added about 3/4 "to the overall length of the roof to get the height we think to be correct.

Dale

Comment

Thanks for posting this Dale....

Originally posted by dhart99 View Post
          I am hopefull that Freddie will be coming thru with the real OEM sized and type glass, he said it was going to be a couple of months to production. It will be worth the wait as long it is the right size and tempered not laminated like Pilkington . I bought the front corner glass from Freddie and I will update here on the size and curvature when I pick it up. We cut the roof and jacked it up and it looks like we added about 3/4 "to the overall length of the roof to get the height we think to be correct.

Dale

You sure the Pilkington stuff is laminated? As in glass layer, plastic, glass layer, laminated like a wind screen? Weird...

Thanks again for being generous with your info and measurements, would you be happy to share pics and help to others to get their roof right?

Thanks,

K9

Comment

Yes all their side glass is laminated like the windshields, not like most factory vehicles because of the safety issue of not being able to break the side glass in an emergency . It also is more susceptable to cracking when shutting the doors . I definitely will post pics and measurements as we progress.I contacted Freddy to get an update on his glass and hopefully he will uppdate this thread .

Dale

Comment

I hope Freddie gets the glass too, I am just trying to cover my bases just in case. Also, thanks for the other information. I will probably take this very slowly since there are a lot of irons in the fire on this topic.

Gumby

Comment

Looking at getting my roof chopped and raised at the front. Should have done this before finishing the car as I thought it was ok. Now looking at it at certain angles, it needs raising

Comment

I agree 100 % wish I had fixed the roof and doors before it was painted . It's bothered me from day one and couldn't really put my finger on the problem as measurements are very hard to find . I can't believe the difference 1 " makes in the look of the car .

Comment

Here is one more thing to consider before the whole "OEM" glass size issue. I read the Sienna brochure and it reinforced something I had suspected. They said in print that they modified the roof to accommodate taller people. That was always my suspicion. Then after raising the roof to make it taller they held the roof line at the front and "viola!" you have the roof-line issue.

Here is my concern. If you raise the roof at the rear for taller drivers and then raise it again at the front to fix the angle issue you have effectively added 1-1.5 inches to the height of the car and now the side glass may not fit properly anymore without being slightly taller. You may be able to make it all up in the slop of the parts, but I just want to point that out.

Until I get glass from somewhere though, it's all speculation. So hopefully someone finds a supplier so this can all be tested.

Comment

Gumby;

I planned on getting the oem size side glass and moving everything around on the fiberglass sections to fit the side glass and the screen on my build. The other item to think about when moving to oem curved side glass will probably be some moving around of the rear posts as well as there may be more curve in the rear end as well as the front side.

Nice to hear about where the angle actually came from to begin with though...

More soon
                      Don
                      308 Ferrari replica
                      Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

So I got Freddy's glass today and I'm glad to say it fits perfect . I'm going to start to complete the repair and fiberglass work on the roof and then on to the doors . I've attached some pics of the roof stretch before the bodywork .
                        Attached Files

Comment

That's great. I'm glad the glass came through. Thanks for sharing to the benefit of others. Sorry if I missed it, but does 'Freddy's glass' constitute the entire side window requirements, 2x upper, 2x lower, 2x front quarter lights, 2x rear quarters, 1x rear window, or just the two 'triangles'?

Thanks,

K9

Comment

Sorry about not mentioning who supplied the quarter glass , Fred was the owner of Sienna Countach , you can reach him on FB search for Sienna . Currently he only has the quarter glass but says he's working on the other pieces .

Comment

Not a problem buddy....

Originally posted by dhart99 View Post
                              Sorry about not mentioning who supplied the quarter glass , Fred was the owner of Sienna Countach , you can reach him on FB search for Sienna . Currently he only has the quarter glass but says he's working on the other pieces .
                              Just wanted to clarify if you'd got a full set, or just the front 1/4 lights....

Thanks,
                              K9

Comment

I just received info from Freddy. He did not realize that the oem Countach side glass has compound curves to them. He said that may be a bit more problematic to make for his glass manufacturer. I am still working on getting him some oem glass to have a look at but if that doesn't work out, Sienna used single curve side glass in their original kits so we can still go forward with curved side glass the same as Sienna. Dale has confirmed that the Sienna quarter glass fits nicely once you raise the roof so if we are left with getting more Sienna side glass, it should all fit together and be curved and tempered not laminated.

From what I can gather, the compound curves are not extreme on the side glass but I am pretty sure there is a bit more curve at the back edge than the front making it a compound curve. I think the Pilkington side glass is compound curve if I remember what William's side glass looked like but that was a few years ago. I will have to dig back through the archives and pullout Will's photos and post in this thread for comparison.

More to come
                                Don
                                308 Ferrari replica
                                Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X