AIRBAGS on a Kit Car?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cdd View Post
    The airbag system must be engineered to work with the space between the passenger and steering wheel in a fraction of a second (a matter of milliseconds). The airbag must inflate fast enough, and then deflate at the right time, slowing the passenger's speed to zero evenly rather than forcing an abrupt halt to motion (to prevent injury to the passenger). In addition, the airbag unit must also stay intact at low-velocity collisions. There are cases where passengers have been injured not by the low speed impact, but by the airbag's powerful deployment into their body. All these constraints must be taken into consideration in the design of a crash sensor that can detect collisions and will trigger the bag to inflate.

from here
    http://illumin.usc.edu/88/the-engineering-behind-automotive-airbags/

I think you would need several crash tests to determine the timing of the airbag.

After seeing an airbag throw a grown man in the air I realized how strong they are.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6YLIwzbbyM
    This is exactly right. Without the research and distructive testing, an airbag system would actually be a liability. On the otherhand, most people who are going to be in these cars are smart enough (and inclined) to use the best belt systems. It is the logical answer.

Comment

So, bar any space frame usage,

If a donor car and dash came with airbags and if a custom dash was used to alter the interior, I would assume the placement of the bags, at least the steering wheel would not be altered and any sensors would remain in tact... Just thinking is all... would you still suggest to remove or disable the airbags from the donor car? Or is this possibly an exception to the rule???
      [COLOR=#333333]It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr[/COLOR]

Comment

I only have a minute but something interesting. Airbags have done little for vehicle safety. When you look at the fatality rate in vehicle accidents in the US. There was a dramatic decline when seat belts were mandated and almost no change when air bags were mandated. Personally, I hit a deer two years ago. Pretty minor, air bag deployed and I left the road from being knock off the steering wheel. I only had bumper, fender and headlight damage from the deer. Airbags were pushed by automakers, that is correct, they lobbied for them, so they could build sorrier and sorrier constructed plastic automobiles, cheaper, lighter and more fuel efficient. The air bags are their to keep the piece of $h*t plastic and 28 gauge tin box you are hurling down the interstate at 75 mph from killing you in an accident. I'd much rather be in one of Fran's RCR cars in an accident with no bags.

Comment

I completely agree with Bartman.

RCR does make a very nice product indeed.
          CJ

Comment

another of the considerations for re-using airbags it that the mass changes when you use a donor. A properly designed SRS /Airbag system has to consider the rate of deceleration as the structure deforms in order to determine when to fire the airbag. To soon or more damaging to late and you have caused more injury than the accident would have when you get smacked by a bag coming at you at nearly 200 mph
            Now building in Mooresville NC
            [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianburton[/url]
            [url]http://profile.imageshack.us/user/AdrianBurton[/url]
            [url]http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by cutlass442 View Post
              I can understand your offense as a builder . So let me qualify it by saying Most kit cars are rolling death traps
              Graciously accepted here, but do not worry about me as a builder, I didn't even get Honorable Mention in the poll.

Comment

So I suppose the take away here is a couple of things.

1.) Most kit cars are not made to spec when it comes to durability and safety in an auto accident with the exception of a few.

2.) A proper restraint system is the better bet when it comes to ensuring or at least "trying" t ensure safety... your in a kit car... drive defensively.

and

3.) Airbags are a conspiracy meant to further fill the pockets of the automakers who could care less for your safety but look like they do because they stuffed a pillow in your steering wheel and dash.

So in conclusion

And it might not be a bad idea to

Before you drive a kit car.
                [COLOR=#333333]It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by 76mx View Post
                  Graciously accepted here, but do not worry about me as a builder, I didn't even get Honorable Mention in the poll.
                  I think you will , once members start seeing some finished cars that you've built . Just a matter of time !!

Comment

I've seen people get so damaged from the air bag itself, they would have been better off without one. This is only true if your seatbelt or restraint system (probably should have harnesses in anything sporty) functions properly and keeps your entire body from moving forward....this way the only trauma is the aggressive bending of your neck from the forward momentum of your head. Since I doubt anyone drives on the street with the neck pad that racers wear below their helmets, this is probably something anyone involved in a serious wreck is going to have to deal with anyway..... I know I'd prefer that over an airbag exploding in my face. Movies and TV have desensitized people to how powerful these bags actually are, they can severely injure you (especially if you aren't seated and belted properly). Too many shows and movies depict people stepping out of an air-bag deployed car after a wreck as if nothing happened....not often the case in real life. What's worse IMO, is that a lot of cars have issues deploying the air bags from impacts that don't necessitate them, causing more injury to the driver than the crash itself with no bags would have. There have even been cases of bags deploying without the car being in a wreck, although it is not very common. In my own personal experience, I've been driving or been passenger in cars that crashed hard enough to deploy the bags, but they didn't. I have been in several accidents, one with the car flipping (enough of an impact that it caused my shoes to come off my feet, not kidding!), but the bags didn't deploy!

Comment

Originally posted by G35Mike View Post
                      So I suppose the take away here is a couple of things.

3.) Airbags are a conspiracy meant to further fill the pockets of the automakers who could care less for your safety but look like they do because they stuffed a pillow in your steering wheel and dash.
                      If that was a "dig" to me, you didn't read my post very well. Nothing about a conspiracy. Automakers wanted air bags so they could build cheaper, crappier made cars that could pass crash test. If you don't want or like kit cars, don't buy/ build one.....

Comment

Originally posted by cutlass442 View Post
                        I think you will , once members start seeing some finished cars that you've built . Just a matter of time !!
                        Cutlass,
                        I have built four cars in the last two years, two more are going to New York next month, and the first Chupacabra, which is sold, is coming along nicely. I feel like Ben Carson in the debate last night, since I do not have seven owners attacking me on the Forums, nothing is said. I realize that if there are no pics then it does not exist but all of these are contracted builds and it is not my business to put a client's business on the internet. I accept that but I am also amused by something. The same can be said for Fran and Vetter. I am not upset about that, I am not going to loose any sleep over it, amused is the correct word. I do have permission to publicize the Chupacabra build, and along that line let me say that as of Feb. 9th, the Chupacabra name is a Registered Trademark for anything automotive related.

Comment

Originally posted by bartman View Post
                          If that was a "dig" to me, you didn't read my post very well. Nothing about a conspiracy. Automakers wanted air bags so they could build cheaper, crappier made cars that could pass crash test. If you don't want or like kit cars, don't buy/ build one.....
                          Not intended as a negative remark my friend. Just me being sarcastic. I blame it on my dad. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by 76mx View Post
                            Cutlass,
                            I have built four cars in the last two years, two more are going to New York next month, and the first Chupacabra, which is sold, is coming along nicely. I feel like Ben Carson in the debate last night, since I do not have seven owners attacking me on the Forums, nothing is said. I realize that if there are no pics then it does not exist but all of these are contracted builds and it is not my business to put a client's business on the internet. I accept that but I am also amused by something. The same can be said for Fran and Vetter. I am not upset about that, I am not going to loose any sleep over it, amused is the correct word. I do have permission to publicize the Chupacabra build, and along that line let me say that as of Feb. 9th, the Chupacabra name is a Registered Trademark for anything automotive related.
                            Charlie the only difference is we've seen matts and frans and mikes cars, either in person or online. If they didn't publish it themselves someone else did. As soon as one of your completed builds shows up online or at a car show and they say Charlie Strickland built this , you are going to have so much business you wont need to advertise

I wish you nothing but the best

Comment

Cutlass, I am not trying to be argumentative and I do think you wish me the best, but one of my builds did not just show up at a car show, it WON Carlisle, best of entire show.

Comment

It depends on your donor vehicle you are using to build the car. Most of vetter's car including his etv cars have airbags. Vetter can build you the la ferrari if you have deep pockets. My kitcars have working airbags. As far as cars being death traps, depends on your structure. Look at nascars. Great cages that keep the driver safe.
                                Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
                                White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
                                White Gagliardi Vendetta
                                Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X