Glassing Foam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimaera View Post
    I personally have never used it. People generally use pink foam because it very ridgit can be machined and can be hard coated and be rad t make to from. I'm using the white foam cause its less expensive and in general f e its much better to work with. One thing about the white foam is that it melts very easily hence why I'm saying to top coat with plaster or some thing like it to give some surface stiffness
    I understand you.
    when I worked out the costs, the pink foam is just too expensive overall.
    It is ok for small projects.
    Does epoxy resin react with White foam?
    In few weeks, I will have almost all the samples here.
    I will report how the test goes.

Comment

Hi guys, I have finally zeroed in on a technique for giving a protective layer to the foam. Just use a thin sheet of fibreglass and coat it with epoxy resin to form a protective layer. Once this is done, you can use a regular body car body filler to do the finishing work without any problem. I have made few scale models for some clients successfully.

Comment

Spackle is faster, creates the barrier needed

Comment

Fiberglass will bond to almost any surface, including wood, foam, metal and even plastic. For applications such as boats, the fiberglass is applied over foam. This is a fairly easy process that involves adding a fiberglass mat bonded together using fiberglass resin.

Comment

Packing tape works very well. But it is difficult to wrap a piece of foam with compound curves. But don't leave tape marks in the resin once it's all done.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X