• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    JoshRT
    Active Users

• JoshRT
    replied
    Originally posted by bgullatt View Post
    You can use an epoxy resin rather than a polyester and don't have to do any prep to the foam. Aero Marine makes some nice products. I used some on my Snark sailboat a few years back.

https://www.aeromarineproducts.com
    Good to hear the epoxy resin is recommended here as well. We will try that for my brother's project after we finished installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline on the truck.

Leave a comment:

• Newpack

• Newpack
    replied
    Packing tape works very well. But it is difficult to wrap a piece of foam with compound curves. But don't leave tape marks in the resin once it's all done.

Leave a comment:

• jackjhon

• jackjhon
    replied
    Fiberglass will bond to almost any surface, including wood, foam, metal and even plastic. For applications such as boats, the fiberglass is applied over foam. This is a fairly easy process that involves adding a fiberglass mat bonded together using fiberglass resin.

Leave a comment:

• wbnemo1

• wbnemo1
    replied
    Spackle is faster, creates the barrier needed

Leave a comment:

• icetray

• icetray
    replied
    Hi guys, I have finally zeroed in on a technique for giving a protective layer to the foam. Just use a thin sheet of fibreglass and coat it with epoxy resin to form a protective layer. Once this is done, you can use a regular body car body filler to do the finishing work without any problem. I have made few scale models for some clients successfully.

Leave a comment:

• icetray

• icetray
    replied
    Originally posted by chimaera View Post
    I personally have never used it. People generally use pink foam because it very ridgit can be machined and can be hard coated and be rad t make to from. I'm using the white foam cause its less expensive and in general f e its much better to work with. One thing about the white foam is that it melts very easily hence why I'm saying to top coat with plaster or some thing like it to give some surface stiffness
    I understand you.
    when I worked out the costs, the pink foam is just too expensive overall.
    It is ok for small projects.
    Does epoxy resin react with White foam?
    In few weeks, I will have almost all the samples here.
    I will report how the test goes.

Leave a comment:

• chimaera

• chimaera
    replied
    Originally posted by icetray View Post
    How about Plastidip?
    I personally have never used it. People generally use pink foam because it very ridgit can be machined and can be hard coated and be rad t make to from. I'm using the white foam cause its less expensive and in general f e its much better to work with. One thing about the white foam is that it melts very easily hence why I'm saying to top coat with plaster or some thing like it to give some surface stiffness

Leave a comment:

• wbnemo1

• wbnemo1
    replied
    Spackle works great, it's on my mirrors to the lightcycle, 😊

Leave a comment:

• icetray

• icetray
    replied
    Originally posted by chimaera View Post
    never tried latex paint but its claimed to work perfectly, I personally use automotive (oil) type primers but I topcoat the foam first with plaster. Be careful on larger areas especially flat or ones with small curves. if you are putting just a very thin layer of filler heat from curing resin will melt the foam and distort your molds or parts if you just interested in parts.
    How about Plastidip?

Leave a comment:

• chimaera

• chimaera
    replied
    never tried latex paint but its claimed to work perfectly, I personally use automotive (oil) type primers but I topcoat the foam first with plaster. Be careful on larger areas especially flat or ones with small curves. if you are putting just a very thin layer of filler heat from curing resin will melt the foam and distort your molds or parts if you just interested in parts.

Leave a comment:

• icetray

• icetray
    replied
    Hi guys,
    Thanks for all the suggestions.
    I have kinda solved the problem.
    I coated 3 layers of fillers and sprayed primer and painted. the extra coating works.
    I will also try this product called ENVIRO TEX Lite
    https://www.amazon.com/Environmental...EnviroTex+Lite

Leave a comment:

• Reallybig

• Reallybig
    replied
    I have used 2 coats of leftover latex wall paint over foam to prevent the resin from melting it. But I was using the glass over foam as the buck... not as a mold. Tried duct tape as it nicely contours over curves but ir wrinkled with the resin over top of it

Leave a comment:

• bgullatt

• bgullatt
    replied
    You can use an epoxy resin rather than a polyester and don't have to do any prep to the foam. Aero Marine makes some nice products. I used some on my Snark sailboat a few years back.

https://www.aeromarineproducts.com

Leave a comment:

• ArashB
    Active Users

• ArashB
    replied
    Ive been researching this recently....

I dont know if this product is expensive.
    Polyurethane resin.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDwQg6CX25A

Another is wood glue, (Water Puddy)a kind of plaster, and cheese cloth.
    https://i.imgur.com/2bTuU1Y.jpg

Plasti Dip might work.

Mortar and Lowes Latex.
    https://i.imgur.com/J255SJD.jpg

I would like to experiment with the latex stuff from Lowes and Waterpuddy in the future.

With other chemicals, make sure you dont mix something that becomes hazardous like how one can suffocate mixing bleach and Ammonia bathroom cleaners.

Leave a comment:

• icetray

• icetray
    replied
    allright! thank you guys, I will see what I can do

Leave a comment:

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X