Ferrari F40

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferrari F40

Hi just recently joined this forum and am about to start building an F40 replica and advice would be welcome and parts ,I'm building mine using a 308 chassis which I have and for now I'm going to run an Audi v8 with a 01e gearbox,that's where I am at the moment. Raf

Welcome to the forum and sounds like a really nice project and a lot the same way Ferrari started their F40 adventure. Start with a 308 chassis and history/experience and go from there.....

For inspiration, have a look at plasticfantastic's build thread on his F40 journey.

http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/bu...rth-build.html I think the initial pictures may be missing now but not sure as I did not see some when I went to get the link above.

Post some pics of your progress and ask lots of questions. We have never been accused of not having an opinion on here...

When posting though, get an external picture hosting service and link the pictures in to your posts. There is no uploading pictures to this service any more.

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and seeing the build.

Good luck
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Comment

Welcome Raf.
      PM sent.

Comment

welcome, here's something that may help as a guide

http://www.vemssupport.com/forum/ind...ic,1963.0.html

http://www.dnaoc.co.uk/index.php/topic,415.0.html
        cheers
        Darren

Comment

Thanks for links Darren

Comment

Thanks Don, I’m hoping to get something done quite quickly, I should have the suspension on and sitting on four wheels by Christmas but then need to lengthen the chassis 100mm. Did plasticfanststic finish his car and is he still around? . Raf

Comment

Welcome to the F40 crowd! Although mine is Fiero based, it has still been an enjoyable work in progress. I can pm you pictures, if you wish. Steve

Comment

Interested in your progress Raf. I'm thinkin about purchasing a fiero built F40 I have a line on. Been investigating A TON of info on these before making the buy. Will need a lot of modifying. Looks like most the F40 guys that use to post here aren't around anymore.

Where did you find a 308 frame at? That's a great start.

Keep us posted and good luck!!

Comment

I had posted a lot about my F40 originally, as I was going through an importation nightmare, getting it into Mexico from Canada. Got that done after 3 years stuck at the US/ Mexico border. After that spent 3 years reworking the wiring and redoing the interior ( mice got at it while it sat outside in a storage compound.) Is looking and driving very good now, but needs a new rear stepglass, and THAT has become a big problem ( see my post on Consumer Opinions) I will say that driving it is a blast, and the attention it gets here can be overwhelming. Nobody has ever seen one here. Being an ex SCCA racer, this car makes me want to take it up and track it at Brainerd on the 3 mile track I used to race at. It is stuck on rails with the stiff suspension and wide tires. Just a note: mine has 16 inch rims, and you will NOT find the 315/40R 16 tires for the rear anywhere anymore. You will have to go to 17 or larger rear rims. Can still get the 245 fronts on 16 inch. My advice: go for it! A lot of work, but the end result will make you proud! Steve

Comment

Hi all,

I'm still around! And my project continues, I've been back onto it lately now the weather is getting worse!

I'm currently working on the front end fitment and front inner wheel tubs.

Cheers

Comment

Hi so your going to get a Fiero based F40,do you mind me asking what sort of price you have to pay for one also you mentioned extensive modifications, would you not consider building your own one ? , where are you based. I picked up my 308 chassis in England and I think it’s possible to get another if you’re interested. I start having the suspension built this weekend and my wheels have just arrived today.

Comment

Oh yes I’m well into it Steve, can’t wait ��������, any pictures off yours ?

Comment

Raf, I am not good with computers! Pm me your email address, and I will send you some pictures of mine. Steve

Comment

Great to see plasticfantastic in here! Read a lot on your build.

Raf...I think I can pick this thing up for under 3 grand, maybe 2. It has sat a long time. Kinda discarded. It's not in terrible shape but typical US F40 kit. Nose needs corrected (shortened) so I'd tube the front with a shorter one and cut up the nose to fit. Design a new rear frame also. It's 350 converted but I got an idea for a 3.0 V6 twin turbo from a Mitsu VR4. Just checking into everything b4 I decide to buy it. Chances are I will.

Comment

Originally posted by stevep914 View Post
                              I had posted a lot about my F40 originally, as I was going through an importation nightmare, getting it into Mexico from Canada. Got that done after 3 years stuck at the US/ Mexico border. After that spent 3 years reworking the wiring and redoing the interior ( mice got at it while it sat outside in a storage compound.) Is looking and driving very good now, but needs a new rear stepglass, and THAT has become a big problem ( see my post on Consumer Opinions) I will say that driving it is a blast, and the attention it gets here can be overwhelming. Nobody has ever seen one here. Being an ex SCCA racer, this car makes me want to take it up and track it at Brainerd on the 3 mile track I used to race at. It is stuck on rails with the stiff suspension and wide tires. Just a note: mine has 16 inch rims, and you will NOT find the 315/40R 16 tires for the rear anywhere anymore. You will have to go to 17 or larger rear rims. Can still get the 245 fronts on 16 inch. My advice: go for it! A lot of work, but the end result will make you proud! Steve
                              What a nightmare Steve! Glad it worked out for you. I seen you been trying to find a rear window. Hope you can get ahold of one. I think 18's would be a good size and tire options. The Gas Monkey F40 looked good with that size.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X