roll cage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• roll cage

ive always wanted a car with a roll cage,ive almost put one in a couple of corvettes over the years but never did.im almost finished with my 512 coupe and ive x braced the area where i did the strech and the car is really rigid.jegs or summit dont have a roll cage for the fiero ,i dont think. anybody on here ever put one on a 512 or 355 coupe or is it just overkill.any tips or suggestions.im not going to race it or anything ,hell i drive like an old woman.i just think theyre cool and ive always wanted one

Re:roll cage

Yeah mikey,i have a 77 pro-street corvette with a big pro mod wing out back that my wife's t-bird supercoupe could most likely blow the doors off,but it's so much fun climbing over the side bar to remind you of how old you're getting!!
    LOL ;D ;D
    MIKE

Comment

hell im not getting old,ive been old,are thebee gees still together.

Comment

I've got one in my Diablo, but it's a coupe and I ran the door bars real shallow so they would be behind the door striker area. Actually, I bet one of the universal kits would be pretty darn close so you don;t have to worry about the whole bending thing. I kind of had to put one in my car, cause I trashed the Fiero backhalf a d went tube and connecte everything to the rails and then to the bar.

Comment

ive never actually built one or installed one of the pre fab types from jegs or some company like that.but i really want one in this car,im kind of a structure freak.i have an old big fiero parts book from pisa i think ace advertised some bolt in roll cages ,but i called them and they didnt have anymore .id really like to put one in this car its a 512 coupe,the main thing i dont understand how to do is connecting the main hoop to the rear area of the car,my car stiil has the stock rear glass in it.id appreciate any pics or tips `

Comment

I actually made a set of frame rails out of 3x3, so I just welded right to them. The way we did it in Unibody Mustangs was to weld the bottom of the hoop to a 4x4x1/8 plate, which we prebent to match the contour of the floor. we then made an identical pc to go underneath the floor. weld the hoop to the top plate, drill holes for 4 3/8" bolts in the corners. Then drill through the floor using the 4 bolts, sandwich the floor panel betweein the 2 plates. In order for the bar to fail, it would have to rip out that whole section of sheetmetal. You can of course weld the top plate to the floor also, instead of bolting in. Remember, the bigger the area you can spread the load out, the better.

Comment

Take a look at the 355 and 348 Challenge Cars. Some of them look like universal kits with removable sections to get in and out with ease.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Comment

looks like they're bolted in as well.
                  Here's a photo of mine.

Comment

mikeo,that is super cool

Comment

Well Thanks ;DI tucked it in as best I could against the rear firewall so when I put the interior in I will hide it with the panels. I sheetmetaled right over it.

Comment

Very nice job!

Very nice. We need to see more of this kind of stuff on this site.

Dave

Comment

Thanks alot guys, that's a nice shot in the arm. Sorry the photos are giant. I'll resize them next time. I'm mostly done with the sheetmetal, now I'm working on the intake and getting the plumbing finished so I can run it..Yuk.

Comment

do yall think it would look goofy to put a roolcage in a car ,that i just drive back and forth to work,and i drive like a 90 year old woman,yall think it would be ridiculious looking,i think they look cool but i never see anybody around here with one in their cars,i want one but i dont want everybody laughing at me

Comment

No way mike,just let it hang down enough so that at stop lights you can do chin-ups,that way the young chicky's
                              will think you're a sexy senior citizen,not just a dirty old man!!!!!LOL
                              MIKE ;D ??? :

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X