Need susp. help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need susp. help

I am going to be using my Northstar and swapping it into a guys 87 Fiero SE. I am going to be adding a pair of the 17" wheels I sell so I need coilovers on the rear. But as far as what type I'm not sure yet. I am also looking for a good brake upgrade without it costing alot. I was thinking around $400- 500. I would like to know what has be used and the good and the bad info. from you guys about them. Looking for some hands on info.
    Since I sold my motor I will do a full post on this if you guys still want to see this done, anyways I need help.
    I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Re:Need susp. help

Walt Zettner's brake upgrade is quite popular.

http://home.earthlink.net/~david.col.../walt/walt.htm

Thsi should bring you up to the price range you are looking at.

Rear coil overs are also pretty easy. Get any make of original rear struts for teh Fiero and grind the bottom coil rest off. I am not sure but there is another thread in Tech Discussions somewhere that explains how to do the rear coil over. It was very detailed and a very good desciption.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Send me an email and I'll send you detailed instructions. I just finished mine and I bought KYB struts for 48 each ans 12" springs for 48.00 (2)each Chrome and coilover kit for 30.00 each(2) Doing itthis way is cheaper than buying the whole kit.

I grinded down the perch until the sleeves slid over the strut and install the springs and prseto you have coilovers.

rodney238@juno.com
      I got the instructions of pennocks fiero forum, You can get alot of info from over there just don't mention the word kit car fiero based.

Comment

bobby,just go back about 8 pr 10 pages,in this same area[tech discussion],the thread was started by me ,lowering tech opinions,it will show you how to convert struts to coilovers.the date is in the month of oct. or nov. i cant remember,but its quite simple to do,dont make the same mistake i did on the springs,i bought #500,they were hard as a rock

Comment

I was thinking about 250 springs for the rear.
          I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Comment

These one?
            http://www.madmechanics.com/yabbse/i...;threadid=2374

Comment

no bobby im wrong on that one,thats for the ft.my mistake,but there is a good thread on here about making the strut coilovers,it was started by mikeo,hes kind of a susp. guru,try the mall [rear coilovers for sale] started by mikeo several pages back,mikeo may even have a set for sale,let me know if you need any help,i can show you how to do it.250 or 275 springs are fine.since you have a parts store ,do you know where i can get upper balljoints for a 1975 cadillac coupe deville at a reasonable price,autozone wants $92 each for those damn things,why are those particular balljoints so high,thats ridiculous,hell i aint never paid more than $20 for a balljoint

Comment

Don did you do this swap?

Comment

Mike I think those ball joints are the weird ones that are fluid fulled "something like that" or are those made a few years later, not really up on my 70's Caddy info. I can look around Monday for you though.

Comment

id appreciate it,i thought autozone made a mistake,but i went to 2 other parts stores and they were higher

Comment

They must be those wild a$$ ones then, I'll try though!

Comment

go back to your reply no. 5 on this thread and look at one ,there just simple old balljoints,i dont understand,but i need 2 yesterday

Comment

Don't know if it is still an issue. I used 350# springs on the rear and 250# on the front.

The new 3800 added another 56# to my car and the 250# springs I had on the back made the car bottom out all of the time.

Dave
                          If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Really, it bottomed out with a 3800 in it with 250lbs springs?

Comment

when i said 250 would be fine ,i didnt take into consideration ,the extra weight.thats a good point.who is your contact that can put some kind of chip in a fiero ecm and make the northstar run.everyone ive talked to says thats impossible,but i dont know

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X