25th countach windshield/glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25th countach windshield/glass

Let me know when you guys hear about the windshields. Technically I need a curved one...but I'm going to look into flat safety glass,make a template and see if i can make the corrections on the car to accept it.
    That way if I get a rock I'm not out the big bucks for a replacement. My buddy has one on his 5000(non-stretch) and it looks great!...I think it even makes the car look wider and lower when you look at it from the front. I too need i/4 glass...but may go with tinted lexan.
    Lambobro

Re:25th countach windshield/glass

I too am keeping a close eye on this windshield saga! I hope we can get something going. Anything less than What IFG wants ($699) has got to be available. I disagree on the look of the flat glass. It would be cheaper, but it looks odd to me. Each persons preference I suppose. I am certainly not a purist, and I DO consider myself CHEAP, But the windshield would be worth it to me. Just my opinion. 8)

Comment

OMG!! That was post number 600! I thinks I talk too much? 8)

Comment

the countach windshield is not very curved, neither is the diablo for that matter but i will be including some in the first shipment so see for yourself and the side windows i am making are in tempered curved.
        not trying to do the hard sell but i think it looks so much better.
        i will try to get some pics of the glass as well as the car i have borrowed it from, and post them tomorrow.
        trevor
        http://www.taraglass.com

Comment

i found one pic on his website.

http://www.carbontech.com.au/C-GO.HTM

Comment

My local glass shop made my flat windshield for me for $165.00 CDN.... So, if a rock breaks it no big deal....

Comment

I use flat glass on both of my original design kits ..I am okay with the look ...cost was a big factor at the time ...the one draw -back I have found tho is it limits your choice of dash materials due to sun -reflection off the flat surface ...you need to find a flat matte type of material for the dash that will absorb the light and not reflect it back onto the inside of the glass...most vinyls forget it ... $165 is a great price was that close to Toronto??...john

Comment

No John, I am in Comox BC... Yes, I was pleased when he said 165.....

Comment

Johnjs and kitcarguy, are yours designed for the curved glass? and you used flat? Mines an IFG. Its made for a curved. Thats my big question is if I can easily get the car to accept the flat glass?
                  Maybe I will make a stiff template(maybe plywood) from my buddys and put it on my shell and see where I will need to do some mylar filling and how extensive. The curve is so very slight.
                  Lambobro

Comment

you can used a flat glass ,the curved are kind of bubbly at the ends corner and little at the top roof line.
                    the flat windshield can be instaled with extra urethene at those points.

Comment

Hi I to have considered flat windshield but read that they tend to flex in and out at speeds also the ford areostar van
                      is 35" tall the opeening in my Countach is 37 if I'm rembering right so would have to fill top . on bumper lights I guess you can do what you want but looks like they are just reflectors. Gene

Comment

just as a matter of interest any windshield that has a curve in it whatsover also has a slight overbend for strength thats why you find most flat windshields are small.
                        and that is why they are relatively easy to break from the inside.
                        ever had an argument with the wife and punched the windshield from inside?

just my 0.02 cents

Comment

I used plywood to make my template and brought that to the glass shop for my windshield and like Ed said use extra urethene in the corners and it will work fine...

Comment

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the advice. The relective effect on the dash doesnt sound like a big issue..but one to be aware of since the car will be at the upholstery shop soon.
                            The strength of the curved vs the flat is minimal...it doesn't take much for a crack...no matter what shield..but the replacement cost is major for the curved...I'm going with the flat..and if a great deal comes up on the curved then of course I would like to go with the most authentic choice. It would be pretty easy to switch back. Life building a kit car..the struggles with authenticity...and the costs...whats right for some just isn't a big issue with others.
                            Thanks again
                            Lambobro

Comment

shop around, I remember some guys back then used laminated glass out of touring busses .it had the green top shadow in and they just cut it. the geenish tint makes it look more real.
                              and laminated glass is easy to cut.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X