X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpecialEffectsGuy
    replied
    Re:Building a custom body-options & thoughts

oh yeah... I did a cost estimate for the method I just described and the foam and fiberglass, etc, came to about $2000.00 to just make the plug. You can cut corners and eliminate most of the inside foam by designing it hollow. This cuts the cost about in half. I won't know exact costs until I do mine though. This is just an estimate.

Remember, if you are using other car's glass, make sure you shop around for the best fit first. You can modify the car body a bit around the glass, but's a lot harder to modify the glass around the car.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• SpecialEffectsGuy
    replied
    Re:Building a custom body-options & thoughts

I'm not sure if they have Vector Models or Die Cast Cars out there, but if they do, you can mold the model, cut it into thin strips, then enlarge each piece (by measurements or with an overhead projector) onto a piece of foam board that equals the thickness of the scaled piece and when all are cut out, just glue them together, smooth out the rough areas, cover in plaster or fiberglass, and use that as your plug. I'm not sure how you planned on making your plug for Idea 1, but this is an idea that may help out.

You can mold it yourself. It's a bit involved, but so is the shaping of the car itself, so you might consider that too to save costs.

Ken

Leave a comment:

• deleteall
    started a topic Building a custom body-options & thoughts

Building a custom body-options & thoughts

I'm coming real close to finally building the Vector body I've always wanted. I have worked out the station bucks (I think) and now the question is how to build the body. Here are my options/thoughts, let me know what you think:

1) Create a full size plug and make female molds. I can build the plug myself. A CNC'd buck would be nice, but too expensive and I think if I take my time I can get it looking pretty good. Hey, the originals weren't CNC'd and they look okay The molds would have to be done by a shop due to the size, which inceases cost.

2) Using the buck, build up one body from fiberglass. Cheapest & easiest since I can do this myself. My concern is making the body panels flat and not wavy. I know with modern fillers it's supposed to be easier, but still concerned about my body waving back at people.

Thoughts, personal experiences & COST ESTIMATES appreciated.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X