Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NEW KITCAR PROJECT (87 fiero to Lambo) Need help before kit purchace!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEW KITCAR PROJECT (87 fiero to Lambo) Need help before kit purchace!!

[size=10pt][size=10pt]I'm [size=10pt]10 hours new to kit cars and i don't want to do the wrong thing. I have a donor already, a 87 fiero that i want to buy a Lamborghini kit for. The kits site is http://www.euroworksltd.com/MirageX/. I want to know if that is everything i need to turn my fiero to the Lambo. I'm buying the $7,000 stage 1 kit and i hope that is all i need to turn my donor to the lambo. Can someone please tell me if thats all i need just the kit and my fiero and i can put the car together with help of a mechanic?

i want to keep the project under $8,000 if at all possible (this is just for the raw basics enough to get the car street legal, no paint no rims no custom seats,wheels or anything until i get the basic car up and running )
    please reply or contact me the6runningback-for aim,yahoo

Re: NEW KITCAR PROJECT (87 fiero to Lambo) Need help before kit purchace!!

It looks like it is fairly complete as long as it comes with everything listed on the Stage I page, but a couple things come to mind.  Take into consideration that the metal framing for  attaching the body to the chassis is not included and will have to be fabricated from scratch.  This usually includes framework for under the doors to support the chassis with the roof cut off, support brackets to hold the front and rear to the car, the main support where the back window will be, and misc supports to secure the body to the chassis.  Your mechanic friend should definitely know welding or else there may be some serious problems.

Also, the wheels for the fiero are almost always way too narrow.  They may sit in as much as 6-8 inches in the rear, but I'm not sure about the width of the Mirage X.  Other than that, it sounds like you may be able to get away with just that much.  Don't expect to have the car drivable in a weekend, because it is a lot of work, but I think you'll definitely enjoy the process if you like working on cars at all. 

Best of luck to you and keep us informed of what you get and how it comes along.

Ken
    http://wraithinnovations.com/Wraith1.jpg www.wraithinnovations.com

Comment

so id have to create a frame from scratch? is there a way i can buy a frame kit that i can put on the chassis? and all of this for under 8k?

Comment

I went into the site again and came across some conflicts. I see nowhere where it states what actually comes in the Stage I kit. The list on the "stage I" page is a list of ALL the different options available, but the complete kit that includes all of those options is Stage II, which is $9995... and doesn't specify anything about the windows. I'd give them a call and find out for sure what comes exactly in the Stage I kit and make sure you are looking at their "stage I web page to check off the list of things mentioned. Also, ask about the metal framing. I don't know of anyone that sells the framing, and if they did, It would probably be pretty spendy.

Are you dead set on a Diablo looking car? If not, the Mirage K is non stretched and comes more complete for cheaper. It still has the framing issue.

Comment

It sounds like this is your first kit car build. A lot of projects are sitting unfinished in peoples garages because of initial mistakes deciding on what to build. In my opinion, you should change direction and look at the Aldino kit or the Air Dynamics kits. I can expound on the Air Dynamics kit a bit for you. In it's basic form, 355 coupe, standard wheelbase Fiero you can install this kit in the price range you mentioned. I do not think you can build a spider 355 of other more advanced kits without having a lot of frustration in you life.

The Air Dynamics kit sells for $7,500 for the coupe version. Call John Watson for details 706-328-3311. He has no web site but several people on this site have his cars and can help you along the way.

There are a few 355 kits for sale on this site as well. Ari and Glenn Goodman have them available and you might be able to work out a trade with one of them on your existing Fiero donor car.

Just a few cents worth for your file.

Dave
          If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Please compare that Mirage X to real Diablo before the purchase. You will be laughed at. I saw the dark blue one at Carlisle a few years ago and I was not impressed. I agree with Dave, a 355 coupe for a first build is an excellent choice. If you don't like it when it is done you will probably double you money and gain tons of valuable experience. Then look into a D&R http://www.kitcardreams.com/ or a NAERC http://www.exoticreplicacars.com/ if you still want a Diablo.

Jim
            http://jimdinner.wordpress.com/

Comment

Listen to FunnyWheels,a Lambo is an advanced kit,I personally don't recomed it as your first kit.Some kit manufacturers charge extra for the hardware,know exactely what your getting,befor purchaseing a kit.As for cost your going to need a wide track suspension and wider rims and of course wider tires to go with the wider rims.Then theres the glass,that doesn't always come with the kit,most of the time it doesn't.As you can see this is adding up real fast $$$$.John Watson of Air Dynamics is a reputabe man and has been aroud a while,I highly recomed him.Put your money away and put some thought into this befor makeing a Lambo purchse.E-bay has Lambo bodies all the time for $1000 on up,your going to need the money you save for other things,such as tires,rims, paint and the wide track suspension.The Lambo kits tend to cost more to build than the Ferrari kits because of the way the Lambo cars are desighned (mainly the doors and windshield)....................................Goo d Luck....... James
              The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Comment

there is no way to build a lambo for that kind of money,dont attempt it.a 355 is also a better looking car.a 512 is also a beter looking car and simpler to build,ive heard of people spending a 100 hours just hinging and latching one of those lambo doors

Comment

Lambo kits are going to be the most difficult cars you could pick to build. As you say you are so new to kitcars, then I would NOT recommend jumping on any lambo kit. But if your dead set on it, I wouldn't buy the euroworks, you should go with the D&R or NAERC. Don't waste your money on a less expensive kit, because it won't fit, and you will never finish it. And remember these guys that make/sell this stuff are NOT going to tell you how difficult it will be to assemble or what parts don't fit. The only good lambo stuff out there, from word of mouth from other builders, is D&R and NAERC. And even those kits need work to get stuff to line up.

If you decide to build any kit, you better have about $5000 worth of tools to start the job. You don't have to be an expert mechanic, welder, or bodyman, because you will learn as you go. But you better be prepaired to dive into those areas. You might get a mechanic to help you tune your engine, but I highly doubt that he is going to assemble your kitcar for you, uless he's your brother.

Check out this website and email these guys for help/questions. They are some pros in the lambo area.
                  http://www.lambolounge.com

Comment

i forgot to mention the $5000 worth of tools and the experience in every aspect of car building,no one on this site is trying to discourage you,its just the reality of it

Comment

yeah, no one is trying to discourage you, we are being realistic.  We would love to see another kit builder on this forum, and posting his/her progress like everyone else.  You just need to be aware that it's going to cost you a lot more cash than that, lots of tools (of course you can cut corners here), lots and lots of space, and about 1 - 2 years build time (if not more since it's a lambo and your first kitcar)

Comment

We're not even sure if he likes the Ferrari or not.
                        Would you give us an idea of what kit designs you would be interested in? List as many as possible. The 355 would be easier to build, but what would be the use of getting it if you wouldn't like driving it. There would be no incentive to work on it.

Comment

I see the word diablo being used in this post. I would not even use that word to describe the mirageX. diablo inspired yes but diablo replic not even close. If it you just want to get your feet wet in the kit world i guess it is an OK kit but dont think that it is a diablo replica.

Comment

I agree with Wraith ... don't change the guys mind. Just give him the facts. There's no point in working on a _long_ project if it's not want you wanted in the first place.

Comment

You know I read on some of these forums about people comparing these kit cars to the real thing.
                              I happen to think the Mirage X is a great looking car and so what if it doesn`t look like a real Diablo.
                              The point is will the car get noticed when you drive it around? Most definately. Does it cost a lot less than a real Diablo? yep. Can most people tell it from a real Diablo? Probably not. Stay away from car shows which feature real Diablos and I think you will have a great time driving it. [

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X