Frame Stretch Photo's and step by step procedures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frame Stretch Photo's and step by step procedures

Where can I find the best step by step instructions for my project frame stretch, I'm doing a 355. I would like to see some good photos of this process and some insight on this procedure. I don't believe it will be that difficult but I would like to here from you guys and look at some photos first.

Thanks
    355coupe

Re: Frame Stretch Photo's and step by step procedures

Glen has some photo's and explanation on his site. http://www.angelfire.com/ri2/ferrari_spyder/index.html I'm pretty sure he'll be more than happy to fill in the gaps. (Sorry Glen if I'm speaking out of turn)
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

RCR dont be sorry, I put the info out there to be shared. 355coupe, as RCR said, if you need and gaps filled let me know.

Comment

while glenn stretched the frame, there are other ways, you could stretch the cradle. They both require about the same amount of work, just different kind of work...

Comment

Duanne is correct on that point, while I stretched the frame on that project, for my AD kit, I am planning on stretching just the cradle as funnywheels did. Both types of stretches have their plusses and minues. No matter which way you decide to go, we are here to help

Comment

Befor cutting, your going to want to draw some plumb lines on the side of the chassie,so that after cutting and streching,the lines will help you level the car,try this sight for some good info and pics.Web sights come and go,so I highly recomend saveing it to computer.
            http://personal.atl.bellsouth.net/j/...eperations.htm
            The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Comment

In my opinion the cradle optioon works the best with the pocket book. If you mess it up you can always get a 2nd chance.  I will e-mail the information to you if you need it.   It is posted on this site as well.

You basically relocate the attachment points of the Fiero cradle to move the centerline of the axle back 3 inches.  It only works for a 355 though, a 512 or a Lambo have longer wheelbases.

Let me know if you need additional information and I will be more than happy to e-mail it to you.

Dave

If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Hey Dave,
                   On the cradle stretch, are the upeer strut towers moved rearward? This sounds like a simpler appoach then how I did mine.
                -Vinny
                Remember, there is always next year.

Comment

Pardone my ignornace,but is there a cradle strech and a chassie strech or are both required (my kit didn't require a strech,so I wouldn't know)?
                  The road to life is full of flat squirrels, who couldn't make up their mind!

Comment

There is one or the other....as stated in earlier posts, there are pluses and minuses to both.....alot now choose the cradle stretch as, in my opinion, it is much easier to do for most....

Hope this helps,
                    Carl

Comment

Ok Guys, here is a way to do the stretch that I used on my car.  It will work on a 355 build up without much effort.  I did not cut the frame, lines etc. or anything else to move the centerline of the axle back 3 inches.  Here is the process.

I selected a good cradle from a Fiero donor.  My car was a 1986.  1984 -1987 are all the same for this purpose.  I simply cut off the front frame horns on the cradle and add +3 inches to the frame horns.  It was then rewelded and reinforced to suit my needs.  You can remount all of your OEM Fiero engine and transaxle parts without any modifications other than using a longer braided line for the clutch slave cylinder and longer radiator hoses.  I welded a flat plate on top of the rear mounts to move the mounting point of the cradle forward +3 inches and used all of the stock Fiero cradle attachment points. I think this could also be done by just redrilling mounting hols in the Fiero frame rail 3 inches back and bolting the cradle back in place.

The only thing you need to do with regard to attaching the top of the shocks is to get a set of coil over shocks and remount the top of the shock back 3 inches.  The top of the shock tower has plenty of room to perform this procedure with the narrower springs that are mounted to the coil over shock kits available today ( I got mine from Lee At Held Motorsports and use a 350# spring).

To make the job nice and clean, power coat the parts when done and put it back into your 355 kit.  I do not believe this will work on other cars with a longer wheelbase due to the space confinements in the engine compartment.  This is one conversion that works great for a +3 inch 355 kit.

The modification to my car was worked well for over 3 years without any challenges and has been further enhanced since the initial installation of the stretched cradle.

A side note: I welded the front cradle mount to mount the frame horn firmly in place by removing the rubber bushings. I used two washers and a short piece of tubing welded into the hole. I still use the Fiero bolt to mount the cradle to the frame. The rear mount has a set of custom spacers from West Coast Fieros to replace the rear mounts and firm up that portion of the car. This helps take the little jiggle out of the chassis that Fieros are noted for.

Dave

Comment

That being said. Wouldn't it still be a little easier to do the cradle stretch. Plus, wouldn't the cradle stretch give you some more engine bay room?

Comment

I think only the frame stretch give you more engine bay room, a cradle stretch would not move the trunk frame backward right?

Comment

The spark plugs are easier to change on the fire wall side since the engine is moved back 3 inches.

Dave

Comment

Well guys I spent my July 5th on my 1st official day of my project. No planning and research today it was time to get dirty and put what I have learned on this site to use. Today we took the engine out and we are getting ready to either relocate the cradle or stretch the frame tomorrow. I will have pics of our progress and post them tomorrow. I also have purchased the engine for my project it is a 3.4L DOHC which i'm getting out of a wrecked 97 Monte Carlo with only58K on it. I bought it at the insurance pool in Atlanata and I should get it by Wed or Thrusday. Wish me good luck. And be looking for the photos

Thanks
                              355coupe

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X