Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SBC V-8 swap question

Originally posted by F355spider
    When you push the peddle down the arm going in the tranny starts to move no play after the arm going to the tranny moves about one inch it stops and the peddle will continue to go to the floor a couple of more inches; hope that helps.
    Are you trying to say the pedal moves and the slave pushrod does not move after the first inch? AIR IN SYSTEM.
    http://jimdinner.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GSXRBOBBY
      The motor and the trans is not in the car, I have the stock location marked on the out case where the it started from to where it was fully engaged. Now its moving an additional 1/2" more and the bearing is about to far off the shaft when its engaging the clutch. There is no pedal.
      Stock location will probably mean nothing after adding an adapter plate and a custom flywheel. I would disregard those marks.
      My guess is you are manually moving the clutch fork as far as you can by hand and bottoming out the pressure plate. The pressure plate is probably releasing the friction disc way before this point.

If not... consider a custom made release bearing hub. The bearing will be the same, have a machine shop make one with a longer hub so it won't want to fall off.

Comment

Originally posted by jdinner
        Originally posted by F355spider
        When you push the peddle down the arm going in the tranny starts to move no play after the arm going to the tranny moves about one inch it stops and the peddle will continue to go to the floor a couple of more inches; hope that helps.
        Are you trying to say the pedal moves and the slave pushrod does not move after the first inch? AIR IN SYSTEM.
        I will try to bleed it again and see tomorrow I installed my door poppers today.

Comment

OK still no luck I bleed and bleed and bleed the line some more this thing gust want move far enough I did notice that if I push as hard against the peddle as I can it starts to release the clutch you can just barley start to push the car. What’s up with this are there more that one-length slave cylinders????? If I only had a 1/4 of an inch more it would work fine.

Comment

F355spider,
            If you are having a bleeding problem, I have a solution... I too spend days trying to bleed my clutch line with no luck at all no matter how hard I tried. I raised the front of the car to make the clutch master cylinder higher than the slave cyclinder. I then filled the master and opened the bleeder on the slave, slowly you will see the fluid level in the master dropping. Oh, make sure you place a rag or something under the slave or fluid wil lget everywhere. Eventually you will see a steady flow of fluid coming out of the slave. tighten the bleered and you should be all set. worked perfectly for me.

Comment

Well I found out that even though you bleed the main line their is one more trick you have to also bleed the air out of the slave cylinder end by pushing the rod in and opening the bleeder. I did have air there . I have found out that when I replaced my clutch peddle I needed to put a bushing on the thing were the rod fits on it. After bleeding the air out of the end of the slave I have just enough clutch to hold the brake and start the car and it not move. I DROVE MY CAR FOR THE FIRST TIME WOW! That SBC in a Fiero kicks. I did not go far for obvious reasons but it felt good the 17X335x30 launch the car on down the road.

Comment

I have been really busy with moving and doing a few other things but I will be back on here soon to get up dated and thanks again guys for the help.
                I am in Lowell, Indiana<br />Building an 88 Fiero GT with a 93 STS Northstar and 5 speed Getrag. <br />Custom Mr. Mikes interior, Norms fiberglass nose and custom paint.

Comment

Ok after a week, I finally found out what was wrong with my clutch. After swapping most of the parts and a gallon of brake fluid trying to make sure all the air was out. I made a new slave cylinder rod that is one half inch longer than the one I had it works perfect now the clutch disengages at about half pedal.

Comment

Is there free play on the clutch fork? If there is none then your clutch is partly applied and will slip when putting the power to it. I have been there and made a pushrod longer myself too only to realize the slave cylinder still only moved the same distance. If I made the rod even longer it worked so it would go into gear but the clutch was slipping.
                    Look for it F355spider

Jim

Comment

So how long is the new slave rod you made? I bought a slave cylinder from the fiero store but it doesn't come with a rod so I need to know how long I should make one. I am also using a V8 Archie kit.

Comment

Believe me there is no slippage it leaves a foot long black mark without even touching the gas pedal, it is hooking up. I also put a spring on the lever to make sure it pulls the bearing back so it is not touching but only when I push the clutch. The rod that was in the car is 5.5" the one I made is 6"

Comment

All I can say is you are lucky, I have never seen a different length rod actually make a difference. The slave still will only move the same distance, regardless of how long the rod is.

Comment

After a week of jacking with it I will take all the luck I can get.

Comment

My slave went out and had to get a new one, the new slave was different and I had to make a new rod length, I can't remember if it had to be longer or shorter. I had to bleed it over and over and over. Works great now.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X