cracks in fiiberglass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracks in fiiberglass

what is best way to get rid of stress cracks in fiberglass? Im abotu to start body work on f40 kit the front clip has cracks like little spiderwebs all over it?
    1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
    1985 Fiero GT Northstar
    1985 Fiero GT 3800

Re: cracks in fiiberglass

The cracks are probably only in the gelcoat. You will need to remove the paint, cut the gelcoat down with rough sandpaper, and rebuild the gelcoat. The best product that I have found for this is made by the Fiberglass-Evercoat company and it is called "Feather-fill". Available at auto body supply stores.
    If you use a chemical stripper to remove the paint, get one made espically for stripping fiberglass. Happy sanding
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Comment

you might also consider adding metal supports on the inside and glassing them in to help prevent future cracks. the reason they appeared in the first place is because the fiberglass panel is flexing more than it should be due to the thickness, design, or just age.
      Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

First you are going to have to get a few different grits of sand paper,

1) then sand the immediate area with using a 240 grit
        2) then sand the area where the cracks once were and on the outter areas with a 320 grit
        3) after this blow the area off and clean with a wax and grease remover
        4) mask any areas that may need to be masked
        5) prime the area (3 good coats)
                  let it dry
        6) sand the primer with 320 lightly to get rid of the course feel
        7) then wet sand with a 600 grit
        8) dry it off and wax and grease remove the area 2-3 times and you are good for paint.

if you paint has metallics make sure on your finish coat you increase the air pressure to evenly spread the metallics. if it is a base clear setup then use a burn agent the same time you clear coat the area, this will blend the new clearcoat in with your old clear therefore not creating the nice halo of dullness on your paint job.

as far as filling the cracks if they are just little veins that are scattered in your paint and re-jelcoating the area it would cause the same results and you would pretty much sand all the filler out anyways just to make it all blend.

hope this helps

Mike
        You know life is sad when you get excited on finding a full can of bondo in your garage!

Comment

this is basically the whole front clip has this problem, from what i can tell whoever had kit befor used hood pins and did not adjust the well. you have to push down on the front clip pretty good bit to put in pins that is the worst area where the pins are at. thank you all for the info , i dread starting this .....
          1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
          1985 Fiero GT Northstar
          1985 Fiero GT 3800

Comment

Yeah i really hate doing body work, i like the after effects (attention) other than that i hate the fiberglass, the paint, the bondo and mostly the sanding but it all pays in the end! have fun with that project ;D
            You know life is sad when you get excited on finding a full can of bondo in your garage!

Comment

Originally posted by Jbrown
              this is  basically the whole front clip has this problem,    from what i can tell  whoever had kit befor used hood pins   and did not adjust the well.  you  have to push down on the   front clip  pretty good bit  to   put in  pins  that  is the worst  area where the pins are at.   thank you all for the  info , i dread starting this .....

PM sent
              Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Comment

Quote: you might also consider adding metal supports on the inside.........

Good point.

Quote: prime the area ..........

Just so you are not confused.....this had best be at least a two-part primer as I had mentioned above, not a single stage.
                And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Comment

Thank you all for the advice, i sanded away a section of thepaint / gel coat etc and the cracks go through the fiber glass..
                  It is bad enough I may just try to order a new front clip if not to exspensive.

EEEXotic , tried to reply to your pm it keeps saying not deliverable due to pm limit??
                  1987 Fiero GT 3800sc
                  1985 Fiero GT Northstar
                  1985 Fiero GT 3800

Comment

EEEXotic , tried to reply to  your pm   it keeps saying not deliverable due to pm limit??

Sorry about that.... Just remodeled my inbox.. send away
                    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X