Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to strenghten a frame???

Hey guys,

i am confused, i ran square tubing under the doors on the sides of the car and tied them in to the front and the back of the chassis. i still am having a problem with the car shifting (body lines) on me everytime i jack the car up on one section, what else would be a good method to add better chassis support? does a "X" frame work good?

thanks

Mike
    You know life is sad when you get excited on finding a full can of bondo in your garage!

Re: Best way to strenghten a frame???

Originally posted by nicerydez
    Hey guys,

i am confused, i ran square tubing under the doors on the sides of the car and tied them in to the front and the back of the chassis. i still am having a problem with the car shifting (body lines) on me everytime i jack the car up on one section, what else would be a good method to add better chassis support? does a "X" frame work good?

thanks

Mike

if you're able to post a pic of your exsisting reinforcement please do.. I used a X- brace under the belly of the chassis along with rock panel and rear bulkhead reinforcements but there are other places that make more sence without adding the extra weight if not needed.
    Just smart enough to be very Dangerous

Comment

The X frame under is only added weight and less ground clearance.  If you chop off a top to build a spider car like I did the process becomes worse.  I would run a 2 X 3 inch tube up the rear of the firewall to attach the top of the Fiero frame to the uni-body of the Fiero.  I also ran a 1 X 2 inch tube from the top rear frame to the rocker panel to form a triangle and stabilize the chassis.  John Watson mentioned to me that the old Fiero convertible conversions ran square tubing along the center of the car along the interior hump and under the car to prevent flexing.  All in all I think Duane Cox has built the correct design into his car by replacing the rocker panel and rear upright with a 1 X 2 tube welded to the Fiero chassis.  Either way it is a pain to do it correctly and very dangerous to cut corners.

Here is a photo from a few years back on my build.  Not pretty but works well.

Dave
      Attached Files
      If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

inside corners an center center tunnel sides

In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X