Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getrag 282(fiero tranny) or audi 5000 tranny? 400whp without exploding...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getrag 282(fiero tranny) or audi 5000 tranny? 400whp without exploding...

planning to use a gm series 2 3800 supercharged with turbocharger conversion. truck intercooler and holset hx35 turbo running 15psi. should be 400-450whp. I want a manual transmission that wont explode.
    I have heard the getrag 282 will bolt up to this engine, but I fear it will not be up to these power levels. anyone have experience with it?
    I have also heard the the audi 5000 transaxle is nearly indestructable but I fear using it in a FWD orientation with the 3800sc will make the drivetrain too long. I don't want to be sitting on the front axle to make the engine fit in the car.
    will the front axle be a lot farther back with a longitudinal mount and audi 5000 transaxle compared to a transverse mount with the getrag 282?. This is the critical question that my setup comes down to. If so, is there an inexpensive way to deal with it(some kind of axle relocation chain)?

I'm also open to other transmission suggestions. If anyone knows of another strong, cheap fwd transmission or rwd transaxle(no transmissions!) please let me know. As far as I can tell, a strong fwd transmission is an oxymoron.

Re: getrag 282(fiero tranny) or audi 5000 tranny? 400whp without exploding...

Use the 282 Getrag. It will take just about any abuse you can dish out. There are a lot of torque producing small blocks running them without any problems.

dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Hi all,

If you have the cash, WCF, West Coast Fiero, a fiero shop in Cali, is putting in NSX trannies into fieros... They are exspensive and require cutom fabricating...The trans themselves are like 7 inches longer than the 282, which is where the fabing comes in....

link: http://www.westcoastfiero.com/transm...nsmission.html
      Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Comment

the longitudonal porsche or audi setup will need about 11 more inches in space, so its probably about 8 inches or so bigger in wheelbase. this is a very general figure since every setup is different, and every detail will change the #s
        Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X