Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WANTED Northstar V8 Adapter kit for my F355!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WANTED Northstar V8 Adapter kit for my F355!

I need an Adaptor kit for the shop to install it

Here's what I have so far
    -Fiero stretched 4 inches
    -93 V8 Northstar
    -Wiring Harness/computers (off the caddy)
    -Axle
    -Auto tranny

And I need everything else I'm missing so I can drop it off at the shop and have them install it

Re: WANTED Northstar V8 Adapter kit for my F355!

You might want to buy stock motor mounts for the Caddy, in case you'd ever need to replace them, you'd know where to source them.

While the engine is out, I'd also suggest replacing the water pump, spark plugs, and anything else that might be a pain later on.

Comment

What "adapter" are you looking for? N* to MR2, to tranny, or what?

Bob
      Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
      http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

From what my shop told me, I need a kit to fit the engine into the Fiero, its an f355 kit. My shop said the kit goes for $3000 and I don't want to spend that much

Comment

You might have to change the mounts but a northstar will fit in the engine compartment of the fiero, what tranny are you using?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42049882@N03/?saved=1

Comment

Originally posted by *fill-up*
            From what my shop told me, I need a kit to fit the engine into the Fiero, its an f355 kit. My shop said the kit goes for $3000 and I don't want to spend that much
            I am putting a Northstar in mine as well. As far as I know there is no adapter available to fit the engine in. You have to custom build the cradle to mount the Northstar. Also, I think that you will need a harness that will allow the engine to be put in a car that is not a caddy. You might be able to make the caddy harness work, but I am not sure how much extra stuff there is in the harness that will make it look sloppy. I also think that the caddy computer is reliant on other caddy parts, like maybe the gauge cluster and the like. I purchased a full standalone computer and harness from Howell engineering to allow the N* to be put in any chassis. http://howellefi.com/customer/home.php?cat=293

Also, I have never seen anyone use a 93 engine. Every swap that I have seen has been a 94-95. Mine is a 97 that I have purchased the stuff to put it back to 94-95 type setup. I am pretty sure that I will regret this eventually.

V8-Archie sells nearly everything that you need to put an F40 6 speed manual gearbox onto the Northstar. This was my choice, because if I am building a Ferrari... it will be a 6 speed manual.
            http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/home.htm

Comment

I bought a cradle with aluminum mounts for a N* and a modified cradle and computer from Pennocks. The front crossmember on the cradle needs to be moved 3 inches forward to fit a N*. I am not going to use the computer because I have Ryans 7730 and a harness that Will is building. The computer is supposed to be modified for a stand alone installation, but I don't know who did it.

Comment

Mine is technically an Aurora 4.0, but close enough. I mounted mine similar to AJ's here: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078978.html , using factory cadillac mounts on the sides and suspending it from the chassis. Then I use a factory mount up front and a fabricated mount in the back to fix it to the cradle.

I'm using the stock Aurora ECM ('96) at the moment. The car runs, but has not been on the road yet. Ryan's (Hess) 7730 ECM has sounded like a good choice, but there seems to be some programming issues at the high end (6500+) RPMs. Ussaully not an issue unless you upgrade the cams and go racing. AJ was also working on using ther LSx ECM with a manual tranny.

I think Curley over at Pennock's used an aftermarket install kit on one of his choppers, but most make their own.

Bob
                Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
                http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Comment

I believe that Curley used design one for a turnkey N* install. Design one advertises a N* installation kit for $5000. I don't remember what they ask for a turn key. My AD355 is on an 86 with a N* that was installed by a Cadillac mechanic. I got it for $5000. I think I got a steal on the car.

Comment

Originally posted by dratts1
                    I believe that Curley used design one for a turnkey N* install. Design one advertises a N* installation kit for $5000. I don't remember what they ask for a turn key. My AD355 is on an 86 with a N* that was installed by a Cadillac mechanic. I got it for $5000. I think I got a steal on the car.
                    Man, 5k does seem like a steal, I think I am just going to pass on the N* and just replace the stock 2.8 in there

Comment

Nah, don't do that; go for a 3800 SC, a small block chevy, or a 4.9 cadillac V8. The 3800 is probably the best choice, with the 4.9 being the least desirable (but still good) of the 3. Replacing the stock 2.8 is a waste when that money and time could go into a better drivetrain.

Actually, I've got a kit to swap in a V8 (using a pre 1985 engine). It's just laying in storage, and I'll never use it. lmk if interested - i paid $700 for it.

Comment

There was a post on pennocks that mentioned pre 95 N* ecms being hacked and a prom available. I believe that Ryans 7730 ecm is only good for 96 to 98 or there abouts. Once you have the computer and harness I don't see why a N* would be any harder than any other swap. I'm starting to think that one of the LS1 engines is going to be my choice for the vortec V8 replacement in my Murci. I liked the N* for my AD355 because it was the closest thing I could find to an aluminum dohc V8 Ferrari in an American engine. Since there is no American V12 I really don't have a good option there. Just the BMW V12. Someone on Pennocks is doing a BMW install in a Fiero. And I think there is a Diablo with a BMW in it. I would guess that the BMW would be the hardest with the possible exception of the Viper V10.

Comment

96+ obd2 95- obd1 so i could see that

Comment

Info on Pennocks. search "stock N* ecm"

Comment

Originally posted by RHK
                              Nah, don't do that; go for a 3800 SC, a small block chevy, or a 4.9 cadillac V8. The 3800 is probably the best choice, with the 4.9 being the least desirable (but still good) of the 3. Replacing the stock 2.8 is a waste when that money and time could go into a better drivetrain.

Actually, I've got a kit to swap in a V8 (using a pre 1985 engine). It's just laying in storage, and I'll never use it. lmk if interested - i paid $700 for it.
                              RHK pm sent

And anyone know how much a 93 Northstar is worth? Comes with tranny, engine, wiring, harnesses, guages, axle, pretty much everything except the car it self

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X