3D models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3D models.

Wow, that's really good! By what method did you build this model? Did you measure off of a scale model or ????

Comment

There are some very impressive models on that site. There are two or three really good Countach models. The one that blows me away the most is the McLaren F1 LM model. Everything seems exact, and it is modeled down to the motor and chassis. If you could learn how to turn those models into body profiles, you could build anything you wanted from scratch.

I've got to learn Sketchup!

Comment

Can someone be kind enough to explain the process how a 3d file becomes a kit car?

Comment

Mostly time and money. The 3D file is converted to a CAM program that will cut the plug from a block of foam. That is the plug from which a mold is taken and then the body is laid up after the doors and other openings are cut into it. Or the plug is built by hand. A chassis must be designed and built.

Comment

Originally posted by hoz2001
            Can someone be kind enough to explain the process how a 3d file becomes a kit car?
            3D solid models are translated into code that runs a CNC machine. The CNC machine then uses that code to machine the desired model from metal, clay, foam or whatever is used. It's an expensive (but extremely accurate) process. Watch this video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6f4kdjIl46k

Fast forward to 3:20 to see the car that is being made. Of course, this is only a scale model. For a full size car, there is a much larger CNC machine that does basically the same thing.

On the other hand, the low budget approach is to take the same solid model and use the CAD program to slice it into profiles. Then, you enlarge those profiles to 1:1 size of the real car and use them to produce formers. See this video for an example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdsFLRmEtpI

Comment

Here is an awesome example of how a 3D model is machined into a final part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmiIeAkE-o

Comment

nice vid meochala
                i checked out the links for force feedback the first one is awesome the second unfortunately is more my level lol

Comment

Originally posted by mlochala
                  Here is an awesome example of how a 3D model is machined into a final part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsmiIeAkE-o
                  Thanks so much for the explanation!

Comment

I much cheaper do it yourself soultion, although not as accurate as CNC machining, is to take a section cut of the car every 6 inches or so, use those sections as "ribs" or guides to les you know how to shape the foam between them. Much like I have done. Check out what i have done at http://www.madmechanics.com/build-di...aren-f1-15342/

Comment

You are a very talented guy , that model is excellent and the dimensions are very good . I overlayed it onto my chassis quickly to hopefully show it off in a new light .
                      Regards

Comment

Mclaren MP4-12C for your use... http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...90&prevstart=0

Comment

Wow! Thanks webslinger283!

What an incredibly great job you did on this McLaren! That's awesome! How in the world did you model this with so little information available on this car?

I would love to know your techniques for creating 3D models. Even with good 2D blueprints, it is a very difficult (and extremely time consuming!) job to produce a 3D model. Please share any tips you can share on how to do this. I will be an avid student.

Comment

Nowadays you can easily extract from a game,a quite enough accurate 3D mesh of a car.
                            You don't need to use some blueprints or to learn the 3D modelling
                            Often, the data are from the original CAD converted in poor mesh for the game.(But the better is to have a Nurbs 3D which is quite better in order to mold the surfaces)

Of course, it's not legal to take it

And i don't say that's the case here, just that's very easy
                            , as the game are now very respectfull, you can have good 3d interior for your build

Comment

I would love an accurate model of a Fiero, both Fastback and Notchback. What I would really love is an accurate model of a Fiero spaceframe. That would be genius.

Or models of a Fiero cradle, suspension, etc.

Besides the McLaren Mp4-12c, which you already posted, I'd love to see:
                              Lotus Evora
                              New '11 Lancia Stratos
                              Lamborghini Gallardo Superleggera 570-4, and the 560-4
                              Lotus prototypes revealed last year.

Other small mid-engined cars, especially the rare, unheard of ones.

How is Solidworks for car modeling? I've seen tutorials based on the old Lambo Gallardo, and Audi R8 floating around. I understand the software is capable of some surface modeling.

What other software do people use in the industry?

Is it still Catia V5 and 3D Studio Max? Have you ever played with Catia?

Comment

There is a important difference between the modelling software:
                                3DS max is mainly for the game use by example. To resume, you create the shape like if you cut in the clay. Using triangle( or simple geometric form) as starting form.Itīs expensive 6000€.Sketchup 3D is more easy and itīs almost free.
                                NURBS modelling software as Rhinoceros 3D/CATIA use curves and are used for industrial work (CAD)

Anyway, itī s more easy to find a accurate 3d in a game now than to build it.
                                So Fiero is rarely in the game. You have to do it by yourself or to scan it ( in 3d). But the Aventador, Lotus Evora,
                                New '11 Lancia Stratos should be available very soon in a game, so its 3d could be available..Of course, donīt expect a perfect CAD 3d with wonderfull surfaces , but just a 50 000 ”triangles” 3d(smoothed mesh) quite enough good to shape your own foam.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X