Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on buying a replica. 355 spyder

Hello,

I'm just looking for a list of what to watch out for when buying a replica 355 spyder. I really want it not to look cheap. The one's I've seen that I like seem to be from mirage kits (sp?). I'm going to buy a used already built kit car. I quess what I'm asking is:
    1. what are the most common problems to watch out for?
    2. Why are so many of these cars automatic?
    3. Many of the hoods seem to have uneven spacing where they meet the body. Is this common.?
    4. I saw one with manual windows. Any idea if those can be converted to electric and a ballpark figure of what it would cost if I paid someone a reasonable fee to convert them?
    5. I really like the look of the manual chrome shifter with the ball but I don't see those often in the replicas.. Any idea why?
    6. Do you guys insure these as ferios and just take the loss if the car is stolen/totaled or do you insure them as collector cars?

Thanks for you input..

Ray

Re:Questions on buying a replica. 355 spyder

Ray,

The mirage and the Air Dynamic kits are the best kits around for the 355's.
    to answer some of your questions:
    1) One of the most common problems is with the assembly of the kits. some people just build them to sell them for a quick buck. You will want to look for misalignment of the panels, waves in the panels and the overall quality of the work done on the car.
    2.) I am not 100% sure but I think the reason for more automatics is the fact that thier are more Fieros available with automatics.
    3.) This is from at least 2 reasons, 1 being poor alignment from the assembler and the second is a kit that just does not fit together well.
    4.) converting from maual windows to power windows is not that big of a deal, just go to a salvage yard and take off all of the window parts from a Fiero with power windows and put them on the manual door.
    5.) I do not know why most do not use the chrome shifter ball??
    6.) You can register the kit as a Fiero and then have it apprasied and insured for true market value.

I hope this helps

Comment

That helps alot.. Thanks Glenn..

One more question. Can an automatic replica be converted to a standard? At what approximate cost if I had a shop do the work not doing any myself?

Thanks

Ray

Originally posted by glenngdman
      Ray,

The mirage and the Air Dynamic kits are the best kits around for the 355's.
      to answer some of your questions:
      1) One of the most common problems is with the assembly of the kits. some people just build them to sell them for a quick buck. You will want to look for misalignment of the panels, waves in the panels and the overall quality of the work done on the car.
      2.) I am not 100% sure but I think the reason for more automatics is the fact that thier are more Fieros available with automatics.
      3.) This is from at least 2 reasons, 1 being poor alignment from the assembler and the second is a kit that just does not fit together well.
      4.) converting from maual windows to power windows is not that big of a deal, just go to a salvage yard and take off all of the window parts from a Fiero with power windows and put them on the manual door.
      5.) I do not know why most do not use the chrome shifter ball??
      6.) You can register the kit as a Fiero and then have it apprasied and insured for true market value.

I hope this helps

Comment

Ray,
        you can convert an automatic to a standard however it would be very expensive seeing that you have to remove the engine and trands from the bottom of the car then you have to add the petals, shifter, clutch master cylinder, change the flywheel...ect....your best bet would be to buy a standard car or do the conversion yourself

glenn

Comment

A couple other things to look out for is any cracking on the body kit, make sure all the lines on the car are of even. Look at the car in broad daylight, when you drive the car make sure there is no rattling, all these things you will need to consider when buying the car. As for the automatic/ stick, just take your time and find a nice stick fiero 355, there are enough of them out there but be patient. As for the cost to convert manual roll up windows to electric, the cost is about $250 to $300 (parts & labor) for both windows. P.s. if you do not know about engines etc., take a mechanic with you. This will save you money in the long run.

Comment

Or send someone local you can trust

DKOV -

Comment

I agree with Glenn; we both purchased bodies for our 355 projects that could ever be to our desired final product, therefore we are in the process of switching out the old for the new. Just buy a good kit to start with and enjoy the experience rather than the heart ache of making a poor investment in a bad kit. I made the mistake of purchasing an automatic Fiero because the lovely Mrs. Newman wanted to drive the 355 sometime. That was 6 years ago and she has never driven it once! I went to the local salvage yard to get power windows for my car and the price was outrageous. I wound up purchasing a nice Fiero with power windows and swapping out the entire door then reselling the other car. There are many ways to do your project. This is just my view of the world.
              If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

I'm not really looking to start from scratch but I did find this ad on the internet. It seems like a good donor car (except no motor) in case anyone is interested..

Red 1988 GT
                Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows, Power Mirrors, Sun Roof, Spoiler, 88 Fiero body no windshield and no seats no motor body is in good shape no dents no rust 500.00 Deanna Schiller Westville, OK , ds4765@webtv.net

Comment

Does Air daynamics have a website?

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                    Does Air daynamics have a website?

Rob
                    No Web Site, No Computer. Since this is somewhat of an underground business for John, he has elected to keep it to a limited few (our site plus word of mouth). That way he can stay in business feeding our desires. His number is posted all over this site. Just tell him Dave Newman sent you.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by ray1
                      I'm not really looking to start from scratch but I did find this ad on the internet. It seems like a good donor car (except no motor) in case anyone is interested..

Red 1988 GT
                      Cruise Control, Power Locks, Power Windows, Power Mirrors, Sun Roof, Spoiler, 88 Fiero body no windshield and no seats no motor body is in good shape no dents no rust 500.00 Deanna Schiller Westville, OK , ds4765@webtv.net
                      If you look around a bit, you will probably locate a running car with a 5 speed and good motor for $500-$600 range. At least they are all over Florida for that amount.

Comment

Glenngdman has a kit for sale:

I have decided to sell my kit and go with the separate paneled kit from Air Dynamics. What that means is that I am selling my kit.

The old kit comes with the following pieces:
                        1 piece front clip (grill and lights already cut out)
                        hood - (2 pieces that are already bonded together)
                        2 outer door skins (with rockers attached)
                        2 inner door skins
                        1 piece rear clip
                        Engine compartment cover
                        2 head light covers
                        2 rear sail panels (covers the gap when the top is up)
                        windshield header panel
                        2 side mirrors
                        reproduction tail lights
                        aluminum for grill
                        I will also include a set of separate rockers if you want to convert it over to them and I also have a homemade video (was not crated by me)

I am asking $4500.00 for everything listed above. I think shipping will cost around $300.00 give or take.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have

Glenn

Comment

My project is also for sale - body kit, interior, lights, fully loaded donor car already re-enforced and everything - $6000 USD :P

http://www.kitcars.com/Classifieds/A...sified_id=1695

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X