1988 Lotus Esprit For Sale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 Lotus Esprit For Sale

I have decided to sell my red lotus esprit turbo. car is in good condition and has low miles. the gas tanks need to be re sealed before car can be driven. this is a common issue with esprit's. i removed the intake manifold because i was going to start the tank removal. never got any further than that. i am located near Temecula California. im going to give forum members the first chance at it. $8,000 is going to be the starting price when it hits ebay, but i will let it go for that price now to get a quick sell. please post in this thread for more details.

TwilightZ
    Last edited by TwilightZ; 02-27-2013, 09:41 PM.

Bump. i made the decision to sell this one and keep the white esprit. please let me know if your interested. I have revised the above post to reflect this decision.

Comment

Too bad you wouldn't want to trade for some kit car bodies. Thats all I have at the moment. If I had cash I would jump on this deal

Comment

What does it cost to re-seal the fuel tanks?
        THE BEST QUOTE [I]EVER[/I] ON THE REAL VS. REPLICA DEBATE, IMO - [B]"...telling guys on here that fake means worthless, is like arguing with guys about fake boobs. If you can see them, touch them, enjoy them and be proud of them; for most...they're real enough." [/B]- RUSHAVED

[URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grxthHiMkec&t=9s[/URL] --- [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orPNGTi58rY[/URL]

Comment

its less than $100 in materials if you do all the labor your self. the job calls for about 10 hours of labor to remove and replace the tanks. its not a hard job and i have full instructions on how to do it. the cost of the actual re seal is less than $100(in materials) if you do it and around $200-$300 if a shop performs the task.

Comment

Hey is this all it needs?

please be honest. I have cash.

Where are you located?

i still don't understand how or why one would need to re seal the tank. Thanks pal!

Comment

That's all it needs and I'm always honest with my dealings. Now for the 'why tanks need sealing' . Over time Lotus esprits rear quarter windows leak water from rain or washing . This water can corrode the fuel tanks because they are mounted with foam pads. These pads hold water. The fix is to remove the tanks and re seal them from the inside. This process involves cleaning, degreasing, etching and sealing. Por15 makes a kit for this purpose. The tanks are then painted and installed. The car is located in southern California near temecula. About an hour south west of LA.

Comment

I would not reseal for $200-300
                when you can get complete new ones for $500

See here
                http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/f164/aluminum-fuel-tank-fabrication-105793/

Very common problem on the esprit . Also this is an engine out procedures to get both out , and while you have the engine out its time to take care of all the other 20 year old parts like water pump, rubber hoses and belts etc since the car has been sitting and all the rubber dried out

So while its correct that you can just seal the tanks yourself for $100 parts plus your labor , to go through the car at the same time , which is the right way to do it, will cost a few grand in parts and 20+ hours labor if you are a skilled home mechanic

Comment

IT IS NOT AN ENGINE OUT PROCEDURE! I know first hand because i just had it done on my white limited edition Esprit. Also, this car has not been sitting long and is not in need of having thousands of dollars in parts replaced. You know nothing about my cars conditions or histories so please stop commenting on them!

Comment

I dont think he's bashing your car at all. I have always understood that to remove both tanks you drop the engine slightly and remove the intake maifold and related components, or go with engine removal, which is the widely accepted method, and further offering an opportunity to freshen up a 25 year old car. There are two types of Esprits. Ones that have had the tanks replaced, and ones that will. So someone will be glad they did it when they buy the car. If your arguement is that it's only a couple hundred bucks from being a running car with good tanks, I would do that to sell a complete vehicle with no guess work. If you truly want to leave the owner the option of how the repair is done, accept that they are negotiating on buying the unknown, which typically ends up in figuring the worst case scenario as likely.
                    That being said, your car looks really nice, and I'm sure a Lotus fan would be glad to have it even knowing the repair that's involved. It appears to be a beautiful example, with a clean interior and straight exterior, that with a good detail and some mechanical labor, will result in a car any fan would be proud to own. Good luck with the sale.

Comment

Hmmm.. I wonder how much from Cali to NYC.

Comment

RUSHAVED,

as you stated, both tanks can be removed with the engine in the car which i and others have done. he has obviously not done his home work and knows nothing about the condition of my car or its parts. i dont mind if some body states that its an older car and may need some unforeseen work. what i dont like is when a stranger is stating that my car will require thousands of dollars to be road worthy. its simply not true. i have priced the Lotus with the understanding that the buyer will be thinking worse case. i just have too many projects and too little time to address it myself.

onewickedsvt,

last i checked shipping to the east coast was around $800-$1000. i have seen it cheaper and more expensive. my zip code is 92530 if you would like to price shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightZ View Post
                          RUSHAVED,

as you stated, both tanks can be removed with the engine in the car which i and others have done. he has obviously not done his home work and knows nothing about the condition of my car or its parts. i dont mind if some body states that its an older car and may need some unforeseen work. what i dont like is when a stranger is stating that my car will require thousands of dollars to be road worthy. its simply not true. i have priced the Lotus with the understanding that the buyer will be thinking worse case. i just have too many projects and too little time to address it myself.

onewickedsvt,

last i checked shipping to the east coast was around $800-$1000. i have seen it cheaper and more expensive. my zip code is 92530 if you would like to price shipping.
                          Calm down there guy

I know more about esprits than you'll ever learn. And i said its correct the tank job can be done for $100 plus labor if thats all thats done

the job. Isn't as easy as you make it sound , otherwise you would have already done it for $100 to sell the car for more money

the "right" way to do things is to service all the other 25 year old parts while you're in there . It makes little sense to take everything apart and put it all back without taking care of all the other maintenance of the 25 year old engine. There is a right way to do things and a cheapout way.

Comment

Ok I shot an email out to a company for a quote. If it fits in budget no problem. Not cheap just factoring in parts and such.

what engine is it? 4 cyl turbo?

Comment

Originally posted by Fauxrrari View Post
                              Calm down there guy

I know more about esprits than you'll ever learn. And i said its correct the tank job can be done for $100 plus labor if thats all thats done

the job. Isn't as easy as you make it sound , otherwise you would have already done it for $100 to sell the car for more money

the "right" way to do things is to service all the other 25 year old parts while you're in there . It makes little sense to take everything apart and put it all back without taking care of all the other maintenance of the 25 year old engine. There is a right way to do things and a cheapout way.
                              you have no idea what has already been replaced and what hasnt. you have no idea whats included with the sale. you have no idea why im not taking the time to repair it before the sale. you have no idea about the history or condition of my cars. you have no idea how many esprits i have owned and worked on so post in you own threads and quit trying to derail mine.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X