Exhaust manifold wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust manifold wanted

While installing my V6 fiero engine, I noticed that the exahust manifold was cracked. Come to find out it was actually broken into 2 pieces. Does anyone have an extra one that they dont need anymore? I need the one that is closest to the passenger compartment. If you are standing with the belts right in front of you, it would be the manifold on the right hand side. Let me know how much and what condition it is in please

Thanks,

Re:Exhaust manifold wanted

Glenn:

I will root through my stockpile of stuff. I did have one at one time. I might have tossed it out though. I am Spring Cleaning.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

GLENN,Ishould have pair from the tr i put the caddy 4.9 in i
      just have to figure out what pallet rack it would be on,if it's
      there you can have it if you want to come get it!
      MIKE

Comment

Glenn:

Mine are already gone. They were hauled away with a lot of other stuff I had laying about.

Sorry,

Dave

Comment

Dave, thanks for at least looking for me!! Mike, let me know and I will take a ride up to your shop, I wanted to come up and see the windshield setup anyways!!

Comment

GLENN,I'll look this weekend,today was wasted,i spent 4 1/2
            hours in traffic going to boston and back trying to straighten out a title for a 49-ford kit,i forgot aboutn the holiday weekend,I'M WORKING!!
            MIKE

Comment

Mike,
              I always hate going to Boston just becasue of all the traffic!! it seems that whenever I do go so doesnt everyone else in the world.....ugh.... Anyway, when you get a chance to look for it that will be fine becasue I have a bunch of other stuff that I still need to do before I am ready to fire the engine up.

Thanks again

Comment

IS YOUR V6 BACK IN YOUR CAR? MY 88 V6 HAS THE INSIDE MANAFOLD CRACKED ALSO,LOOKS LIKE A BITCH TO GET TO. MIDIAS MUFFLER SHOP DIDNT EVEN WANT TO CONSIDER ATTEMPTING TO REMOVE IT. DOES THE ENGINE HAVE TO BE PULLED TO GET TO IT?????

Comment

boomer,
                  I pulled the manifold before I put the engine back in however I think you should be able to remove it without pulling the engine. There are 3 - 1/2" nuts that hold on the shield and then 6 - 1/2" bolts that hold on the manifold. You will also have 2 - 3/8" bolts that holds the manifold to the exhaust pipe. You should be able to get most of the bolts from under the car.

Glenn

Comment

thanks Glenn, that is very encourgeing. thought for sure i was going to have to pull the engine, still think i will find some one willing to tackle this that has a lift. the car came from w.palm beach, Fl. and has some rust, im concerned the bolts are going to be rusty, and hard to remove...

Comment

Boomer:

To help remove the nuts from the manifold, run the car to heat up the engine and spray some Gum out rust away penetrating oil to the bolts. That will loosen them and provide some lubricant to do the extraction of the nuts. Repeat the penetrating oil process once the engine cools enough to work on the car. I removed mine on my 88 by placing the car on jack stands to provide enough room to work. A friend with a lift would be much better. Either way you try it, I believe it is not a present job to do. Many skinned knuckles.

Dave

Comment

Contact Darrell Morse at MORSE86@aol.com
                        He refurbishes Fiero exhaust manifolds, welds up any cracks and reinforces the weld joints. He then ports the manifolds for about an 8-10HP increase on a stock Fiero 2.8 V6. They are $160, plus $50 core charge, or you can send in yours in advance and skip the core charge. Darrell does great work and is a well known vendor on Pennock's Fiero Forum.

Also, the manifold bolts are 13mm, not 1/2". Be sure to soak them as they are prone to breaking off during the removal. I also suggest getting an exhaust manifold stud kit from Rodney Dickman (http://www.rodneydickman.com). Much better than the OEM bolts.

Comment

Glenn:

The second part of the previous note sounds like good advise. If you remove your exhaust manifold and a bolt snaps off it may produce some sort of excuse to consume excessive amounts of alcohol figuring out how to drill out a broken bolt. I would start soaking it now. If the engine is not running, you maybe want to use a butane torch to warm up the bolts first to get them out. Have the address of Rodney handy incase you need to get an easy out and drill bit. I don't know how in the world you would be able to get a drill into that area to drill out the hole anyway. That is where the alcohol might come into play. It sounds like a two beer job anyway.

Best of luck,

Dave

Comment

Dave,
                            Luckily for me the engine was out of the car when I took off the manifold and again I was very lucky when all 6 bolts came out without any problems at all.... however the 2 smaller bolts that hook up to the y-pipe broke but they tread directly into the manifold themself so even if the new manifold has the same broken bolts, I can drill them out and retap them easily before I reinstall it into the car.

Comment

Glenn:

I guess you are lucky. I hate jobs like that anyway. Are you going to put it into your car that is for sale? I have a few parts for a V6 to help out if you need them. Little miscellaneous items no main engine parts except a distributor.

Dave

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X