Building a website

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a website

is anyone here good at building a website?
    or can teach me or at least send me in the right direction of building a nice flash website

Re: Building a website

I had this guy do some work for me. Does good work.
    www.sbinnerwebdevelopment.com

Comment

LOOK ON DALLAS CRAIGSLIST. THERE ARE SEVERAL POEPLE THERE OFFERING TO BUILD FREE WEBSITES.
      THEY DO IT FOR SCHOOL AND NEED THE PRACTICE

Comment

I had these guys build a website for my fathers business http://www.a2zsitesolutions.net/ Expensive but they do really good work and in flash! They even added music and had professional voice overs!

Comment

if its a business or you need seo, beware craigslist. youll get what you pay for. if its just a family site with pics or something, go for it.

Comment

it is going to be for a business and I would like online shopping cart with paypal

Comment

I wouldn't say I'm *good* at it, but I've put a few together. If you want to create a flash site, you need to find/acquire adobe flash (the development environment). There's a big learning curve though, and I'd recommend starting with just a standard HTML site. The thing about HTML is it's not possible to hide the source code. So, find a site similar to what you're looking for, right click, and choose view source. You can save that code, and tweak it to your own needs.

I use GoDaddy as a hosting company; I've been happy with them. Last I logged in, they had the software available for a shopping cart for fairly low cost. Worth looking into anyway.

A friend of mine created this site for me:
              www.t7g3.com
              Her contact info (mention me and she might give you a deal)
              http://www.marliesmaalderink.nl/
              (She's dutch, hence the dutch text on her site)

Comment

just to take note.. in order for people to view flash they need a flash plugin.. this doesnt come as standard and needs to be installed. If the item's your selling are aimed at the elder folks then they might not know how to install it. I would try and stay clear of flash.. using it in banners is fine but it can cause problems if links etc are embedded.

Take a look at oscommerce which is a free shopping cart php based software. You can download ready made templates for this or even create one yourself using something like sts template which is nice and easy to use.

Swishmax is a easy flash creative software and you can download a trial for free if you do want to play with flash.

Its getting more and more important nowadays to also concentrate on SEO.. I think oscommerce does some nice friendly SEO links.

I wouldn't say you get what you pay for.. I have seen some dreadful websites that have cost's 1000's ... If you are going to be paying someone then ask for a few url's (site links) that they have already done.. go and check the site's out and see how high they rank in google (PR rating) etc..

Hope some of this info helps m8..

Steve
                [url=http://www.dnaoc.co.uk/]DNA Owners Club[/url] - DNA Kitcar Related Website
                [url=http://www.extremeoc.co.uk/]Extreme Owners Club[/url] - Extreme Kitcar Related Website

Comment

Boy do I hate Flash with a passion...lol.

If you need SEO let me know. My rates are good and I get results.
                  [url]www.fiberclassics.org[/url]
                  [url]www.miatakitcar.com[/url]

Comment

If you do not want flash or are not willing to pay to have the site professional done, then you can use Google. I just set up a company on Google with a web page, domain name, email, and Google Docs. I do not trust Google 100%, but for a small company they are a cheap and good way to go. The big thing for me was Google Docs. Getting people out of their C: drives is a big push for me. I have been brought into too many times to fix things after an employee leaves or to do data recovery. All computers crash and data storage is a big issue that little companies do not understand till it is too late.

Please beware of going overboard with flash. The last thing you want to do is to have music blaring, and flash videos going when a customer is trying to buy something. I have left many web pages because all I wanted to do is buy something, and I could not get around the animation. I also assume that the more flash or over the top the web page, the less the product is.

Comment

HI all,

Are there any good books, how to's for building websites?
                      Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Comment

Hi,

One of the easiest way to build and maintain a website is through a content management system (CMS). These are the point and click interface on the back end of your website which allows you to manage or create new content easily without doing all the coding. Wordpress, blogspot, etc. are content management systems for blogging, that anyone can use immediately without any prior knowledge.

Similar to blogging, there are more generic content management systems out there which do a lot more, other than blogging, such as an online store, portfolio websites, media websites, you name it. One such example is Joomla. Joomla is open-source and has a extremely huge community behind it. These people write extensions or plugins to expand the functionalities of the system. You could add forms, video players, feeds, galleries, and all sorts of fancy things imaginable.

What you would need to do is to get a host that supports Joomla (most of them do), and install it from the control panel of your web host.

You can buy a professionally designed template. $39 for a 4 month membership which grants you access to all of the templates and support.

Demo: http://demo.templateplazza.net/?template=estore_plazza
                        Store: http://www.templateplazza.com/

There are probably several million websites that use Joomla as their CMS!

There will be a learning curve, but you can get away from the coding bits if you outsource your templates/extensions.

I agree with some comments below that flash is painful. Easy, functional & intuitive navigation is probably the best policy.

Comment

Been There Done That and Agree for small business flash and fancy sites get way over done. Go to my website... freely hosted as part of my ISP account, template (free if link left in place) and edited using freeware HTML editor... generates all the business I can handle (use the KISS theory).
                          [COLOR=#ff0000]
                          [/COLOR]

Comment

The simplest way is to google it.There are plenty of website designers to choose from...

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X