Motorcycle help..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorcycle help..

I am looking at buying an 03 Yamaha R1 this weekend. How do I check if the frames been bent/if it tankslaps. Its snowing and freezing here in Chicago I can't really test drive it more than a few mph. Thanks!

Re: Motorcycle help..

Originally posted by *fill-up*
    I am looking at buying an 03 Yamaha R1 this weekend. How do I check if the frames been bent/if it tankslaps. Its snowing and freezing here in Chicago I can't really test drive it more than a few mph. Thanks!
    There is no way to eyeball it. Having had like 10 bikes even a slight tweak can go unnoticed. You need to have the frame compualigned if you are in doubt. Did the seller say it had been downed? If you can't get it checked out, i'd probably pass. But while youre there you can always look at all the frame tabs and welds for stress damage. If the frame is painted it could be hiding damage. Bent forks aren't that big of a deal because replacing those are fairly easy/cheap..but frame damage is a no go.

Comment

Originally posted by *fill-up*
      show me pics of the bike i dont think your bending the frame without denting it. and gsxrs snap cause of there material

Comment

I have been in the bike business for 15 years. You need to look at the distance the front wheel is from the lower fairing. The weakest part of the frame is at the neck, when the frame bends it will push the front wheel in towards the lower fairing, but it will not be real noticeable. If the tire is almost touching the lower fairing it is bent, but this typically happens when it is hit in the front. If it went over on the side and did not flip the frame rarely has major damage.

Comment

Originally posted by misterD
          I have been in the bike business for 15 years. You need to look at the distance the front wheel is from the lower fairing. The weakest part of the frame is at the neck, when the frame bends it will push the front wheel in towards the lower fairing, but it will not be real noticeable. If the tire is almost touching the lower fairing it is bent, but this typically happens when it is hit in the front. If it went over on the side and did not flip the frame rarely has major damage.
          Alright thanks I will check that! The bike was layed down on its side on the track but very lightly, only damage was a crack in the fiberglass tail and a few scratches on the crank case (I think that's what its called)

Comment

probably the crank case or stator cover thats typical.
            if the tail section is damaged id check where the subframe mounts to the frame those tabs bend/break easily

Comment

tank slap doesnt mean it has a bent frame. r1's have steep steering angles(for quick handling) so they some times need a steering damper to keep stable when the front end gets light at high speeds or hard acceleration. a tank slap at speed can cause you to crash but isnt an indication of a frame issue on an r1. do what the other posters have told you to check for issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Twilight Z
                tank slap doesnt mean it has a bent frame. r1's have steep steering angles(for quick handling) so they some times need a steering damper to keep stable when the front end gets light at high speeds or had acceleration. a tank slap at speed can cause you to crash but isnt an indication of a frame issue on an r1. do what the other posters have told you to check for issues.
                tank slap is from bad driving habits, like if your shifting and your wheel comes off the ground an inch when it goes down it tries to straighten and can cause hard shifting side to side ending in tank slap. steering dampners do help correct that. but not always.
                frame damge isnt that hard to find if you look. i ding isnt bad just make sure its not bent or broke

Comment

Green

Tankslap has absolutely nothing to do with riding habits...its a symptom of chassis geometry.

I have raced motorcycles for decades and I originate from the Isle of Man...so have ridden my fair share of bumpy roads with and without steering dampers...as I have raced modern and vintage bikes...

Its a frequency(oscillation) situation that is felt at higher speed and is exagerated by multiple external situations...but the root cause is almost always due to chassis geometry...the best part though,is that to combat a tank slapper..make sure you stay on the throttle and power through it... yeehaa!!!!!!!!

Comment

i had tank slap when i endo my bike at 70 thats what i meant by driving habits

Comment

Yamaha R1 is my favourite bike as it has many features like 285 Kmph Top Speed, Dual Channel ABS, LED Headlights With Twin LED Running Light Head Lamp, Digital Tachometer and many more.
                      [URL="http://texastreepro.com/tree-trimming-and-removal-service-dallas/"]Tree Removal Dallas[/URL] | [URL="http://texastreepro.com/tree-trimming-service-fort-worth/"]Tree Service Fort Worth[/URL]

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X