Pray for Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pray for Japan

large scale wind energy is not possible. Just not enough land mass that has strong wind currents. Large scale solar energy use is slightly more feasible. Back 20 years, when GM killed the electric car, they bought out a battery manufacturer, and then dismantled it and said the technology doesn't exist. This same battery manufacturer, also had the rights to "solar shingles", 50%more effective, and look like normal roof shingles. Imagine, every home across the country using these, you pay a one time fee and a installation fee, and you have free energy for as long as there is sunshine. However, whats the problem with this concept? There is no profit, no capital to be made on it. We could have relatively cheap energy today, but the guys on the top wont allow it, or at least they will try everything they can to prevent it.

The only truly feasible and possible future energy will be ITER. Unlike nuclear reactors, ITER, does not produce radioactive gases. There are no greenhouse gases, no global warming effects. ITER has been designed to produce 500 MW of output power for 50 MW of input power - or ten times the amount of energy put in. Also, ITER can not melt down, explode, or have a catastrophic failure.

Also something to think about, The government gets money from energy plants and oil companies. These are in the form of taxes, fee's, and green eco taxes. If energy was clean, had no negative effects, and was dirt cheap, its safe to say that there would be less money generated for the government. So it is in the gov. best interest to keep dirty energy here. Its the sad reality of our capitalist ways... Change will be slow, but events such as these in japan, if they have any benefit, are to speed up this change towards safe energy.

Comment

I would like you to document where you got the statement "large scale wind energy is not feasible". Thank you for the iter references. All of them I've read so far state a goal of 2035 for the first fusion electrical plant and 2050 for large scale production. I hope they achieve it. Fusion sounds safe in both the fusion reaction itself and the fact that no radioactive waste is produced. An actual working fusion reactor in 2035.is however theoretical and just a goal even if a very worthy goal. Wind, solar, geothermal are right now. Unproductive sunny desert land is perfect for solar generation. I've heard of states like North Dakota which have wind resources and I don't see why wind could not be harvested in the same sites as agriculture. I don't think that one energy source should be promoted at the expense of all others. Iter is a worthwhile project, I just don't want to pin all our hopes on an unproven technique when others are available right now. By the way I'm not always logical. Otherwise I would not be spending the amount of money I am putting a
      640 hp turbocharged ls4 in my replica even though I am anticipating 30+ mpg.

Comment

When i said large scale wind energy is not feasible, what I was implying was that you can not power the planet on wind alone. There is not enough prime real estate. A combination of wind, solar and geo is a lot more plausible. Geo thermal is very promising, every 2 hours, the earths core expels enough energy to sustain us for 2000 years, if we can capture even a fraction of that, it would ease our energy problem greatly.

When you look at Europe, you see countries with wind farms, huge solar fields, experimental geothermal plants, and a push for Iter. However, take a glance at US. and all you see is a push for more oil with the occasional solar farm or wind farm. Its not US that is developing ITER, or Experimental Geo T. energy, its mostly France, Germany, and other European countries. US will fall off the bandwagon and drive itself into disaster unless they step up and take some of the billions of dollars they invest on weapons and defense and use it for Energy RD.

America is the most Oil dependent country on the planet. And by far, US consumes over 20,680,000 bbl/day, while its closest oil dependent consumes less then half of that. here is the kicker, China consumes about 40% of what America consumes, but their population is 4 times greater then that of USA. On average, an American will consume 2-4 times more energy then a Chinese citizen will. Now ask yourself, do you live 4 times better then somebody in China? Take for example infant mortality rates, America is 48th, overall health 72nd, freedom of the press 44th, literacy 55th... It goes on and on

There was a time when USA was great, and every country around the world strived to be like it. Sad thing is, that has changed. USA is the biggest consumer, and a considerably small producer in comparison to its consumption. A country can not grow if its production levels are less then half of its consumption levels.

Comment

The more you post the more I think we are in agreement. I'll have to look back at ITER. I thought that the US was a partner and if we're not we should be. We do seem to be very ineficient in our use of our wealth alright, and I think that the days of us using 25% of the worlds resources with 5% of the worlds population are coming to an end. They're catching on. On energy, conservation is the biggest bang for the buck, and we've got a lot of room to maneuver there. I'm obviously biased but I think that fossil fuels and nuclear energy should be a last resort rather than our first. I just looked up the participants in ITER and USA is one of them.

Comment

One of our members (black opps (Nick Johnson) and his wife Orie) are a few miles from Tokoyo.

I can not reach them.

Dave
            If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Comment

Hey Dave, At least "a few miles from Tokyo" sounds safe from what I get on the news.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
              Working...
              X