Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

car repair questions from todays shop, worth it or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• car repair questions from todays shop, worth it or not?

Hi I just went to just tires today a local chain auto shop. I went there to change the oil and got a repair bill for almost 1700.00 that they said needed to be done. My car is a 2002 toyota corolla. The cheapest model. The mileage is 128k so far. they said all of these needed to be change below. Any idea as to should I get all of these done, or is some of them bs repairs for extra money? I figure that I ask since people here are very good mechanics. Any idea if theres anywhere cheaper? or do you think these are fair prices?

air filter unit price-18.25 labor 27.00 = 45.25 ( I can do this myself for much less)
    replace front disc brake pads unit price-75.30 labor 90.00 = 165.30
    resurface left front rotor labor = 45.00
    resurface right front rotor labor 45.00 = 45.00
    clean & lube front brake sliders labor 45.00 = 45.00
    brake fuild exchange service unit price-20.95 labor 79.00 = 99.95
    valve cover gasket-unit price-47.46 labor 81.00 = 128.46
    remanufatured water pump unit price-92.77 labor 225.00 = 302.77
    serpentine belt unit price-60.69 labor 45.00 = 105.69
    belt tensioner assembly and installation unit price-222.04 labor 54.00 = 276.04
    cooling system flush unit price-39.95 labor 65.30 = 104.95
    radiator kit
    transmission flush unit price-61.50 labor 78.45 = 139.95
    power steering fluid exchange unit price-40.95 labor 49.00 = 89.95

Re: car repair questions from todays shop, worth it or not?

Originally posted by seafoodlover
    Hi I just went to just tires today a local chain auto shop. I went there to change the oil and got a repair bill for almost 1700.00 that they said needed to be done. My car is a 2002 toyota corolla. The cheapest model. The mileage is 128k so far. they said all of these needed to be change below. Any idea as to should I get all of these done, or is some of them bs repairs for extra money? I figure that I ask since people here are very good mechanics. Any idea if theres anywhere cheaper? or do you think these are fair prices?

air filter unit price-18.25 labor 27.00 = 45.25 ( I can do this myself for much less)
    under $20

replace front disc brake pads unit price-75.30 labor 90.00 = 165.30
    around 40-50

resurface left front rotor labor = 45.00
    25 new

resurface right front rotor labor 45.00 = 45.00
    25 new

clean & lube front brake sliders labor 45.00 = 45.00
    you will haev the caliper off so you can do it youreslf

brake fuild exchange service unit price-20.95 labor 79.00 = 99.95
    price os a couple cans of fluid

valve cover gasket-unit price-47.46 labor 81.00 = 128.46
    prob 20

remanufatured water pump unit price-92.77 labor 225.00 = 302.77
    new with lifetime warr 45

serpentine belt unit price-60.69 labor 45.00 = 105.69
    belt tensioner assembly and installation unit price-222.04 labor 54.00 = 276.04
    cooling system flush unit price-39.95 labor 65.30 = 104.95
    radiator kit
    transmission flush unit price-61.50 labor 78.45 = 139.95
    power steering fluid exchange unit price-40.95 labor 49.00 = 89.95

I guess you get the idea, besides if you cannot do these repairs I would suggest a different hobby than building a car
    Now building in Mooresville NC
    [url]http://www.flickr.com/photos/adrianburton[/url]
    [url]http://profile.imageshack.us/user/AdrianBurton[/url]
    [url]http://s997.photobucket.com/albums/af91/AdrianBurton/[/url]

Comment

NO! I had Just Tyres try the same thing on me when I got them to align and balance my wheels. They produced almost 2,000s worth of 'required' work.

I took my car to the Alfa dealership the same week for it's scheduled service. Ironically they didn't identify any of the items the 'mechanics' at Just Tyres had, and I'm still running on the same brakes/etc now, two years later..

It's a scam, don't fall for it, and if you really are concerned, take the car elsewhe and see if they identify any of the same things. I wouldn't let the cowboys at Just Tyres do that sort of work even if it DID need doing..

Comment

Yes it is usually a scam. Get a second and third opinion. Ask the question "Why?"
        The fact that they let you leave with the car says a lot.

Rotors - $15.00 each NEW
        Lube slides - 5 seconds of work with the anti-sieze grease.
        Brake Pads - $35.00 (both sides included.)
        Brake Fluid Exchange - Biggest BS scam out there. Usually never needed, even when it is black.
        PS Fluid Exchange - see above
        Transmission Flush - Will the pan be removed or will they just suck out fluid and pump in new fluid?
        The filter should be changed too, thats inside. If there are no problems, don't do it.
        Is it leaking oil from the valve cover? Yes / No

The only thing I can suggest at milage is a timing belt and water pump.
        If the timing belt has never been changed, do it.
        http://jimdinner.wordpress.com/

Comment

i agree with jdinner, scam scam , they are famous for doing that, run don't go back ;D

Comment

Wow! This board of great mechanics knows everything. Im sure the people here that can build a car from the ground up know much more than any repair guy. After some looking into, I now believe that I will take my business somewhere else. Some of the price comparisons are way over priced from what they gave me. I mean look at the air filter, 27.00 for labor not including the part? I can buy one at the local store and take about 20 secs to pop it in, then its done. Thanks for everyone who filled in and help me make my decision. I can always count on this forum. Also jim your lambo was one of the nicest 6.0s ive ever seen. The new owner is so happy with all your great work.

Comment

we took our ford focus in for a service at quick fit (uk based tyre and service chain) the service price was fair but they called my wife with a similar list to yours and said 850 to change brakes and pads all round (oem spec parts) and to change 2 indicator bulbs and to number plate bulbs, I called them back and told them to p!ss off!!! I then took the car down to a local garage as the wife was scarred the car was unsafe due to the brakes, they checked it over changed the bulbs 5.95 for all 4 fitted and advised me that I had about 2-5000 miles left on the brakes.
              I ordered a full set of Brembo discs and pads online and fitted them with a mate price 175 for brakes and discs and 50 to take mate and his other half out to say thanks.

Moral of the story is that these guys lure u in with a cheap service or MOT then try to scare you in to parting with your hard earned money!!!
              pinin

Comment

POS scammers like that should be horse whipped. >

Comment

They do this sort of stuff because they hope you will make a quick decision without thinking about it. I have caught these guys on my than one occasion. Just recently I brought in one of my cars for an oil change. Before I went their I went to the auto parts store and picked up a air filter and put it in while I was there. Still had the receipt in my pocket and the box in my trunk when they came up to me and said I needed to replace my air filter.

Needless to say a quick chat with the manager and the oil change was on them.
                  [url]www.fiberclassics.org[/url]
                  [url]www.miatakitcar.com[/url]

Comment

2 reasons why these places do this.
                    First, they have to because they have HUGE overhead costs!
                    Second, because most people fall for it and they get away with it! Especially when they sprinkle a little 'scare' on top of the deal. People get scared easily when you start talking about brakes on their car. If you know nothing about a brake system, then I can see how that would work.

Do it yourself! Take your time and use the world wide web to help if needed. A little Google goes a long way.
                    Plus, you got a whole bunch of guys on here that would be willing to answer any questions!

Comment

Front brakes labor and parts broken out to each individual part of the service adds up to a ridiculous number. Should be ~$230 in my area including taxes to machine the rotors, replace with OE compound quality pads, lube sliders and brackets and assemble. Your cost of living may be higher, but that's Vancouver, WA and a quality service at that price. Other than that, everything seems in line for a reputable shop with ASE certified technicians to do the work listed. I am a service manager at the best/biggest independent in my greater metro area, so I can speak to this from lots of experience. Do NOT use a remanufactured water pump. Those have already failed once. It's not much more money to get a new one, if any. If you don't trust this shop to only recommend needed work and subsequently have it completed, take it to a AAA approved repair shop you trust for oil and filter services and have the work completed there as needed.

Originally posted by jdinner
                      Yes it is usually a scam. Get a second and third opinion. Ask the question "Why?"
                      The fact that they let you leave with the car says a lot.

Rotors - $15.00 each NEW
                      Lube slides - 5 seconds of work with the anti-sieze grease.
                      Brake Pads - $35.00 (both sides included.)
                      Brake Fluid Exchange - Biggest BS scam out there. Usually never needed, even when it is black.
                      PS Fluid Exchange - see above
                      Transmission Flush - Will the pan be removed or will they just suck out fluid and pump in new fluid?
                      The filter should be changed too, thats inside. If there are no problems, don't do it.
                      Is it leaking oil from the valve cover? Yes / No

The only thing I can suggest at milage is a timing belt and water pump.
                      If the timing belt has never been changed, do it.
                      Good grief. Where do I start with this?

No shop is going to charge their cost for parts or they wouldn't be in business, so quoting $15 for the cheapest Chinese rotor you could find at an auto parts store doesn't help this guy.

Brake fluid builds up moisture and copper content and the boiling point drops. This will cause premature deterioration of the seals in the system and can lead to the brake pedal falling to the floor under an extended braking situation as the fluid boils. This can also mean hanging/seizing calipers or wheel cylinders, failed brake master cylinder or failed ABS controller. I've seen them all and highly recommend flushing the brake fluid if they've tested it electronically and can verify moisture content. Should be done about every 2 years/24,000 miles in a damp climate. On the rare occasion that a customer declines this service, it's not uncommon to have them back in on a tow truck within weeks. It's an expensive education when you get it that way.

Power steering fluid gets dirty and used up just like engine oil (we still change that don't we?). That system runs under ~1800PSI when you're in a parking lot situation with maximum assist. Any dirt in the system is going to erode away the internals of the pump, hoses and rack and pinion if left as is. Replacing the rack, hoses and pump with a flush will cost nearing $1500 w/ tax on most vehicles. I'm not sure that he wants the hard lesson.

Any reputable shop is now using a transmission fluid exchange machine that performs what is effectively a transfusion from the inlet and outlet of the cooler at the lines. Dropping the pan (if the vehicle is even still equipped with one) and changing the filter is a long antiquated service. This only gets about 1/3 of the fluid in the system out. The rest is in the torque converter, cooler lines, cooler and elsewhere. The filter is usually just a screen designed to catch large debris. If you have large debris to clean out, you have bigger problems. A proper transmission fluid exchange will clean the filter to as new condition and get about a 95% fluid exchange. This way you're only doing it about every 30,000 miles with regular use instead of mixing 1/3 clean fluid with 2/3 dirty as you drive away and effectively being right back where you started.

A 2002 Corolla engine is timing chain driven, so to the OP, please disregard replacement of the timing belt as a recommendation.

Tom

Comment

"What we have here, is a failure to communicate." ~ MSGSGT Ermy USMC (Ret)

IMHO, I think it stems from very experienced mechanics and their view point on how they would proceed, as opposed to a much lesser experienced wrench turner and how he should proceed considering his abilities.

I would RUN from the shop mentioned above, but I would probably not use Tom's shop either, though just because I can do these repairs without charging myself $80 an hour for shop labor. Tom's shop, and almost all others DO have to make a living and pay taxes and overhead and that money has to come from somewhere, so it's passed on to the customer. You don't take your own eggs and bacon to a restaurant and ask them to cook them for you, and you understand that it really doesn't cost .20 cents more for a piece of cheese on your burger. LOL

MOST shops (not the scammers this article originated with) are legit, and if you are not experienced in repairs of this type, you should seriously consider taking your car to them.

Not sure which quote Tom was referring to when he said "everything else seems in line", OBVIOUSLY NOT speaking of the first shop. Their prices were WAY TOO HIGH. You look up the job in the book and it tells you how long a job should take and how much labor to bill for. (ie. Brake pad replacement - 1.5 hours)
                        You can buy AMERICAN made rotors for about $25 each, like Tom said, avoid the Chinese made ones. They'll get hot, warp, and your front end will wobble every time you step on the brakes.

Brake fluid is highly susceptible to moisture. It will decrease the effectiveness of your brakes! If it looks cloudy or black....just change it. It's a relatively simple process to bleed it all out, replace, and then bleed the air out of the lines. Note that I said "simple" not fast.

PS fluid...ditto.

Transmission fluid change......
                        This is a big controversy amongst mechanics and manufacturers/dealers at the moment.

BMW says their transmission is "service free for the life of the transmission", that's True...to an extent. What that really means is that the transmission will just eat itself eventually and then you're out $4K for a replacement. Service free for life, just don't expect it to be a long one.

Change the filter and fluid!!!! Suck the fluid out then,drop the pan and do it right.
                        Vacuuming a rug is not the same as taking it up and washing it.

Even BMW owners have started to ignore the "service free" advice and are doing this regularly now and experience greater longevity of their transmissions for the doing.

Depending on how long you intend to keep the car, and how many times you are willing to replace the water pump in that period, remanufactured pumps are a cheaper option. It's probably going to last a couple of years or so.

Comment

Stay far away from the transmission fluid exchange machine! With 128k miles, unless you have religiously changed the fluid every 40-50k miles, you are asking for trouble! These machines are designed to be a big money maker for transmission shops. If you have a transmission with 100k miles on it and old looking fluid, there is a reason it looks old. That's the clutch material wearing off all the many discs inside the trans. This is normal. If you take a trans. with high mileage (and thinner worn clutch discs) and suddenly change out ALL the fluid, you are sure to have problems a few weeks later.
                          The brand new fluid with all it's new detergents can loosen the adhesive used to attach the clutch material to the metal disc when it's thinner like that. Guess what? the material slowly un-glues itself until there is nothing left and the trans. starts slipping! The car then gets towed back to the trans. shop with an angry customer! The guy at the shop shows them that the fluid is still at level and then tells them it's really because the trans. wasn't serviced on a regular basis, blaming it on the customer. Well, what are they going to do now? Car's broke up on the lift at the trans. shop. Most people have to go along with the rebuild because they are stuck!

Trans. shop gets the $2500 rebuild job, end of story.

I worked side by side with a guy that ran his own independent trans. shop. Before he owned his own shop he worked for a few big box shops. They explained this whole theory to him and told him this was how they would get rebuild jobs!
                          He, on the other hand, when he ran his own shop, would turn people away that had 100K miles on orig. fluid. Wouldn't even drop the pan and change 1/2 the fluid! Turned out, many cars will go 200k miles on orig. fluid.
                          I personally have never changed the fluid in an auto trans. I have also never had an auto trans. go out! 'knock on wood'

Comment

Seafoodlover,

My comment is: Opinions are like ...... everyone has one!! The truth is every situation is different. None of us know your car, none of us worked on your car. Does it sound like possibly they took advantage of you? Well possible. Maybe even likely. But it is not fair for us without prior or post inspection to say one way or another. As far as, transmission service, this service, that service. Well, all opinions. We drive our shop trucks until they are no longer cost efficient to maintain. Meaning, I have vehicles with 250k miles and one with nearly 400k. No not dielsels but regular gas GM trucks. They are diligently maintained. And no neither have had a engine or trans replaced or rebuilt. We do change the brake fluid, power steering fluid, flush the cooling system, etc. If you only maintain your engine oil and filter all of those other things will bite you before 200k. On the other hand, my father thinks a car is a wore out peice of junk at 100k miles. He only changes the oil and filter regularly. The air filter when he thinks about it. It works for him because he trades it at 70-80k miles. The one thing for sure, no shop should do repairs without discussing them with the owner and have a decent estimate on the cost.

Comment

Thanks to all for such great info. You all help me out alot here. One more thing I wanted to ask was, I know this sounds stupid. But do the 2002 corollas have brakes in the front and back? I know the front has them. What about the back 2 wheels?

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X