Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I the only one?

Confession time guys.

Am I the only one that find themself in the isles of Wal-Mart, Lowes and even the grocery store looking at misc. hardware, trying to figure out how you can use it on your car?

I have a whole new appreciation for brackets, hinges, nuts and bolts.

I've caught a disease that only time, lot's of money and a "finished car" can cure.

Chris

Re: Am I the only one?

I def do that at the junk yard for sure, Im always buying random hinges and latches to see what would work best for my setup.
    http://signatures.mylivesignature.co...D765AC7574.png

Comment

YOU TOO!?!?!
      It's contagious!!!
      ;D

Comment

HI all,

Not exactly like what your describing was my problem... Once a month, on a Friday, I would go to a local Toys R Us just to see if there were any new CONCEPTISH hotwheels in the aisle... Did that for about a couple years, but not for the last 11 yrs though...
        Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Comment

Lol! I went to lowes and bought pvc 2" 90 degree elbows , some sheet metal and tried to make a replica motor cover...it turned out pretty good. But i ended up finding a real replica motor cover...

Comment

I caught the bug too....

I find my self in strip-bars gentleman's clubs and adult stores all the time looking at stuff that can be used and the training videos and all those instructional manuals.....

O WAIT......

Seriouselly...... You aren't kidding..... I find myself all the time thinking how I can modify this or that for use in my replica..... I have spend lots of time at Lowes and Home Depot trying to figure out things like the engine cover and available stuff at the stores to make it look as real as I can.

Comment

Sounds like we could all be brothers here
              I call it 'inventorying' a store when I walk around for hours just looking at stuff.
              That way, when I am working on something I can go through the 'inventory' files in my mind and know where to go to get what I saw earlier.
              I think another reason for doing it is because most of the people that work at home improvement stores and auto parts stores have no idea what they sell! I always find myself helping other customers when they are lost looking for something. I can say I know the inventory of most stores better than most of their employees!
              I admit I have even taken 'inventory' at the fabric shop when I went in to get foam and vinyl. They got some pretty useful things in there! And the place is full of females unlike the auto parts store where it's just a sausage fest!

Comment

Ok.. if we are really confessing here.

I was in a Hobby Lobby the other day looking for a thick chrome wire to lay around the center section of my steering wheel cover. I walked through the store with my head down until I happened across the model car section and felt like a guy again.

Floral arrangements are half off this week in case anyone cares?

All kidding aside, they had the wire and they also sell the stuff to make rubber molds for casting some parts.

Chris

Comment

I do that all the time it seems. Its a good habit though. Cause you never know when your going to need some kind of weird widget and you can say "I know what I can use for that!" because you already saw something that would work at some random store weeks before.

On a side note, If you ever wanna buy mold making rubber and plastic supplies go directly to the source www.alumilite.com They sell in large quantities!!

Comment

for mold making amd pattern making supplies I use these people ( in no particular order) www.smooth-on.com, www.freemansupply.com. http://www.russsimpson.com,www.budge...arplastics.com

As for the walking down home depot, etc aisles and picking stuff up for "project use" -way too much, same for ebay. I keep a track of all the stuff I buy and on one project I spent over $2,000 on stuff that never made it into the final build because I always came up with a "better idea" on how to execute.

Comment

I find lots of good stuff at marine supply stores. especially stainless steel stuff. Also found that using marine blowers in the engine compartment helps draw air into the compartment and keeps it cooler.Marine grade wiring is also superior to automotive wiring because it is copper wire that is costed with silver so it resists corroding. I also like to use the liquid tape on all solder joints and then cover them with wire covers. This completely eliminates corrosion. You can also find some pretty neat looking electrical switches and panels you won't find in an automotive store that are complete with protective covers.We have a lot of marine supply stores here in Florida.

Comment

Yeah but the same piece of home depot hardware will cost twice as much to buy in a "marine supply store"

Comment

But you won't get the same piece at Home Depot. They don't sell marine grade wiring at least at my home depot. and their stainless steel collection is limited. Ace hardeware has about the best selection of stainless steel. Marine grade is more expensive but you pay for what you get. Go cheap and you get cheap. I just don't cut corners on something that is going to carry my fat ass down a highway with a bunch of crazy Northern tourists visiting!I live in Florida and whenthe northerners come down on vacation they totally forget how to drive!

Comment

I've searched for years, but I've never been able to find a 12 step program for what you're describing. I've got it too.
                            [url]http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/build-diaries/8454-my-official-ad355-build-thread-sactodreamer.html[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by holycow
                              But you won't get the same piece at Home Depot. They don't sell marine grade wiring at least at my home depot. and their stainless steel collection is limited. Ace hardeware has about the best selection of stainless steel. Marine grade is more expensive but you pay for what you get. Go cheap and you get cheap. I just don't cut corners on something that is going to carry my fat ass down a highway with a bunch of crazy Northern tourists visiting!I live in Florida and whenthe northerners come down on vacation they totally forget how to drive!
                              I agree completely, There are not that many pieces that are the same in both stores and that you've got a lot better chance to find a higher quality finish and more items that you would use on a car at a marine supply store.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X