Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not quite a death wish but.....(building a supercar from scratch)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not quite a death wish but.....(building a supercar from scratch)

I think this post goes here. I'm thinking of trying to build something similar to an ariel atom but different. Rather than steel I would like to use .35" wall aluminum tubing, and I would like to make it awd. I can weld up the frame well enough, But I'm trying to find an awd transmission/engine that I can mount just forward of the rear wheels without having to to do a lot of custom machining. I would prefer something that is usually turbo charged or at least can handle some serious turbo charging (set up will be a number of smaller t/c probably 1 tc per 2 cylinders, unless there is already a stock set up). Right now money is not really an issue. Practically it may become an issue but for now I'm still in the brainstorming stages. Also any recommendations on suspension would be appreciated here. I'm hoping for a hp/ton rating of about 1000 hp/ ton but this may not be realistic. I'm really trying to make an F1 racer that just barely qualifies as street legal in the states. Open to any advice other than "just give up now". I'm also planning on using a cockpit style canopy and aluminum internal body panels that will give it a bit of protection in weather but the exoskeleton and engine of the car will be exposed.

Re: Not quite a death wish but.....(building a supercar from scratch)

And I should also mention after rereading my post, I'm not looking to replicate the body style of the F1 racers necessarily, I do recognize that the F1 racers and the Atom are very different in construction, but really when I watch the atom drive F1 is the first thing I think of. Very low, very agile, very good acceleration and braking. But really any advice. I've done a lot of fabricating, machining, mechanical design, and car repair, but I've never built a car from the ground up before.

Comment

Hi, looks like you need something bike powered, hayabusa or something like that, they turbo nicely with head work. On their own they are insanely powerful, I have a friend who has one in his lotus 7/caterham type car. Even with the steel chassis he gets over 1000 bhp per tonne. he's gone for rear wheel drive but its still mad.
      As for the scratch build, I have done that on my Zonda and its challenging (huge understatement intended)

Regards
      Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

Comment

a skeleton frame scooby with some euro spec WRC kit on the engine will do the AWD and meet your power to weight target. I think there is someone inthe UK that offers a tube frame for the scooby

Comment

Detroitbrit, I googled around on the skeleton scooby frame and can't seem to find any good pictures. I may just not know what I'm looking for. And I see a lot of body kits and such that call themselves eurospec wrc, but any thoughts on the engine and transmission? Like I said I'm looking to mount it just forward of the rear wheels for better weight distribution. Could you post some links of what you're talking about?

Comment

From one Detroit Brit to another......You may mean the SDR...exochassis but mid engined using the WRX stuff....so no chance of making it AWD as the trans hangs outback..

Also check out DPCARS
            Denis has done a few AWD bike engined monsters...very cool stuff but pricey as almost everyone is a prototype...

Comment

http://www.murtayasportscars.co.uk/

These guys have a kitcar that you build using a scoobie as the donor for parts and build on to a space frame, you could possibly adapt this idea for you needs as it will give you all the AWD drive goodness you desire
              Or go with nicks idea and motorbike engine in the rear it would be mental quick but probably no AWD

Comment

Hmmm the Murtaya stuff looks interesting, I wonder if an R8 engine and transmission would work here if I could get my hands on one. I believe that was midengined and awd. Probably have to pay a crazy amount for it though. And I think porsche had some awd models as well now that I think about it. Do people think one of those set ups would work? I can build the frame myself easily enough.

Comment

Or alternatively because all of these drivetrains would be almost completely impossible to get, if I have my center of gravity 5-6 inches off the road, what would be the best way to set up the suspension using a porsche or bike engine mounted near the centerline of the car.
                  ?

Comment

How much experience do you have in building cars?

I can tell you now that doing an AWD system isn't far fetched but will be damn near impossible to perform on something like your discribing. I'm planning on building a Supercar of my own in the future however since I don't have that much experience in doing so I'm first going to build my original dream car the Lamborghini then ill get around to fabing up a chassis, buying brakes suspension, an engine and transaxle.

I would look into something like a subaru or even the EVO for the AWD system. some guys have managed to use them in the older VW based kits like the sterlings however I don't know how the AWD system would fair up. It should be doable but it will be expensive and difficult.

Comment

Building cars? Very little. As I said in the OP I have experience in mechanical design, machining, fabricating, and repairing cars. I have rebuilt engines and swapped engines just to keep my own stuff running. I think I have the necessary skills but thats why I'm posting here for help from the people who really know whats going on. And I was looking and I think the porsche 911 awd transmission is what I need. I can built a gear box and custom bell housing to mate that transmission to pretty much any engine and maybe offset the engine so the engine sits almost directly over the transmission doing it like that. Either that or yeah I'll just do rwd car for simplicities sake as a first go worry about adapting it later.

Comment

Ashley from Extreme has built one.It`s round tube like the atom with minimal bodywork,it`s 4 wheeld drive with 2 hayabusa engines fitted ( turbo`s to come later ).

Comment

I am 90% done with a scratch-built car that looks kinda like a mix of the new McLaren, an older Murcielago, a Porsche Carrera GT, and a Gagliardi Vendetta. If I had to do it again, I would go with an RCR SL-C and change the body to suit.

RCR makes an Atom-like killer track car/slalom car - http://www.race-car-replicas.com/rcrproadster.html. I have seen their work close up and it is better workmanship than Ferrari, Lamborghini, and other supercars. The CEO, Fran, is one of the most knowledgeable people in the race car world - not the kit car world, the RACE car world.

If you enjoy planning, designing, fabricating, wrenching, fiberglassing, drilling, cutting, welding, and fitting by trial and error then by all means do it all yourself. If you want to drive the car or compete with it, then I suggest you start with the Superlight and work from there.

Good luck.

Comment

Thats actually a fine idea, I can modify the frame for what I need I would guess. Is there any place that I could actually get a close up look at that frame?

Comment

this gets my vote as a starting point.
                              http://www.race-car-replicas.com/rcrnemesis.html

http://www.superlitecars.com/

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X