PVC TO PVC pipe bonding question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC TO PVC pipe bonding question.

He is a different topic for you. In the morning I have to bond PVC pipe to PVC pipe. All I have is a bonding glue that is called transition cement. It clearly states that it is made for bonding PVC to ABS. ---doesn't say anything else.
    Anyone happen to know if it will bond PVC to itself?
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Re: PVC TO PVC pipe bonding question.

Im a master plumber, You have to use primer first. HAVE TO, then yes it will bond Pvc to pvc. It only states the other materials because some do not. Make sure it is dry, Apply primer. apply cement to both the pipe and fitting, push pipe into fitting and turn pipe 1/4 turn to make sure cement spreads well and hold until dry or it will pop back out.

Comment

A plumber ??? Good to hear from you and that is good news. I don't want to have to drive to town to buy more cement. However, I may have to go buy primer!?!? Is there anything else that will serve as primer? I have a lot of solvents and automotive related plastic adhesion promoters.
      Please tell me of a home made solution ;D
      BTW -This not going to be used to carry liquids of any kind.

Comment

Have to have primer, it not only cleans the surface but causes a chemical reaction that aids in the cement fusing the 2 together. You can get it at any hardware store, maybe even walmart. The cement will do absolutely squat without the primer. Now there is purple primer which is the most abundent to find, but if you want a clean look there is clear.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zirp8vqApQc

Comment

Originally posted by Greenmeansgo
            Have to have primer, it not only cleans the surface but causes a chemical reaction that aids in the cement fusing the 2 together. You can get it at any hardware store, maybe even walmart. The cement will do absolutely squat without the primer. Now there is purple primer which is the most abundent to find, but if you want a clean look there is clear.
            OK we will get some primer. great video. thanks for your help. ---- Dale

Comment

Maybe it isn't the correct way to do it but I have glued together a lot of PVC fittings using just the glue without the primer and have NEVER had a failure of any kind.

Comment

Originally posted by txbuilder
                Maybe it isn't the correct way to do it but I have glued together a lot of PVC fittings using just the glue without the primer and have NEVER had a failure of any kind.
                Same here. Never a problem.

Kevin

Comment

Well all i know is by law we have to use it, but we have to have it hold up to 80psi

Comment

Originally posted by Murci-Mike
                    they make pvc glue, which bonds pvc to pvc without a primer. it's more common than the glue that you have which will bond pvc to abs. you can get the pvc glue in blue or clear, blue is generally for plumbing, clear is generally for electric. either will work without a primer.
                    "red hot blue glue" is a common brand that has the primer/glue mix

Comment

I have never used the primer and i have never had a failure. i always lightly sand the two pieces being glued and then clean them with acetone and immediately apply the glue. never had a pipe come loose.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X