I know... but it's fun. Reviving a Power Wheels Jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know... but it's fun. Reviving a Power Wheels Jeep

So, I have a huge desire to build my own replica... however, that isn't a dream coming to fruition any time soon.

Enter a beat up and abused Power Wheels Barbie Jeep.

Yes I said Barbie Jeep. lol

I have a 2, going on 3 year old daughter. My son, who is 5 going on 6 has an F150 power wheels truck and she loves riding in it with him. So The thought of getting a vehicle for her was already in the works.

So one day, In the rain, I am driving home and I spot a very worn out power wheels, two seater barbie jeep on the curb. Obviously set out for trash pick up. So I pulled over and looked it over.

The roll bar was snapped, the dash was about to fall off, the mesh net that used to hang from the roll bar was nothing but worn and dirty thread and the color was no longer pink from the many years in the elements and instead was something of a forest green. The shifter for the speed had been cleanly snapped off as well leaving no way to adjust the speed or put it into reverse.

The man that lived in the house came out to see what I was up to. I asked him if the jeep still worked, he said it did, but needed a battery and he no longer even possessed the charger for it.

He must have thought I lost a few screws when I asked if I could take it off his hands or he may have just been happy to be rid of it. Either way, off I went with a garbage je... er... barbie-ish Jeep half hanging out the trunk of my car. Surprised the cops didn't stop me.

Got it home, fortunately, be it that my son had his F150 thats also a two seater, it used the same battery as the Jeep, so I plopped his batter in the Jeep, still grungy and ugly looking, pressed the peddle and the wheels spun. So cool, it works.

From there I dismantled it, pressure washed it and began painting it up for my daughter. This all took place over the last 4 months and I am still working on it. Its been slow just because of time needed to get it done, but in the next few weeks I hope to have it put back together, painted and ready for my children to beat up all over again.

I'll post a few pictures of the progress thus far. My apologies if they aren't that great. I will take better ones as I wrap up paint, replace the broken dash and get this thing back to yard/ road worthy.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Hi Mike.
    Post pictures of it.
    Your son will be very happy .

Comment

This is what it essentially looked like before I began work on it... right after getting it home.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep0.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	381672
      Last edited by G35Mike; 05-01-2015, 04:20 PM.
      It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

Comment

I'll have to try posting more pics from home. Seems the forum is having trouble and wont let me post the rest of the pics right now...

Comment

Originally posted by G35Mike View Post
          I'll have to try posting more pics from home. Seems the forum is having trouble and wont let me post the rest of the pics right now...
          And I happened to me too.

Comment

The following images are when I first began work on the Jeep. Finally got them to upload.
            The Jeep was pretty bad to look at and at that time, I planned to pressure wash it... but had no pressure washer.
            So I grabbed a bucket, hose and some soap and a bit of elbow grease to see if I could pretty it up a bit...
            This was the result.

Name:	Jeep 1.jpg
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	381667

Name:	Jeep 2.jpg
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	381668

Name:	Jeep 3.jpg
Size:	547.7 KB
ID:	381669

Name:	Jeep 4.jpg
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	381670

Name:	Jeep 5.jpg
Size:	236.6 KB
ID:	381671

Comment

So months later, I finally was able to acquire a pressure washer... The Difference.... see for yourself.

Name:	Jeep 6.jpg
Size:	478.5 KB
ID:	381673
              Last edited by G35Mike; 05-01-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

With it cleaned and not quite the Barbie Pink it once was, it was time to paint.

I was wanting to plastidip it so that repair painting, if needed, would be easier.

As fortune would have it, a car buddy of mine came by with several cans of Pink Plastidip they used on their car.

This was not regualr pink, this made Hot pink look timid, but with a little black here and there it could work.

Couple this with a couple of modifications I have in mind and BOOM, brand new Jeep. Go into more detail later. Gotta get to work.

Name:	Jeep 8.jpg
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	381674

Comment

Well done mate.

Comment

Originally posted by Beny A View Post
                    Well done mate.
                    Thanks Beny, I know it's nothing more than a toy, but it's been a fun little project and it's kept my desire to make a real replica at bay. Seeing as the money for this has been minimal at best. I think in all, I have spent $65.00 so far and that was just money in getting the pressure washer, which I needed for other things but came in useful for this project as well. So I guess you can say I have done all of this so far with no money.

Trashed Jeep free, Paint from friend free... my wife bought a used barbie mustang for my daughter which you can just see in the background of the last posted picture, it came with two batteries for $65.00 and a charger... so the extra battery goes to the Jeep... technically free... So, so far, it's been a very affordable project. lol

Comment

Now, here is the plans for further progress in the coming weeks.

1.) Get more pink on the Jeep.

2.) Accent in black Plastidip along the trim.

3.) Take the roll bar lights and attach them to the front bumper after cleaned to give the look of grill lights.

4.) Attach flags into the holes where the roll bar once was. I have one (I will post pictures later) that is light pink with a skull and cross bones that says Pirate Girl on it. I think it will look cool with it. Need to find a second flag, not sure what else to put on it yet.

5.) Trying to make up my mind on whether or not to paint the grill... May try to paint it with chrome paint... but then if I do that, I'll need to/ at least want to, use it elsewhere on the Jeep to tie it in so that it doesn't just have a chrome grill by itself and look odd.

Finally: Obtain a new charger for its battery, reassemble and let my daughter beat it to hell. lol
                      Last edited by G35Mike; 04-17-2015, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Very cool project Mike. Certainly a whole bunch more affordable than the rest of our projects......

Post more pics as you get it put back together.

Cheers
                        Don
                        308 Ferrari replica
                        Prova Countach 5000S

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
                          Very cool project Mike. Certainly a whole bunch more affordable than the rest of our projects......

Post more pics as you get it put back together.

Cheers
                          Don
                          Appreciate the feedback Don. I hope to make some progress on it this Sunday. This depends on how fast I can erect a recently purchased play-set for my kids in the back yard. Climbing wall, slide swings, the works... but if I can get it done, then Sunday may be open for a bit more paint/ plastidip to make it onto the body of the Jeep. We'll see I suppose.

Comment

Here is one of the flags that will go on the Jeep. The idea is to use PVC pipe and paint it either black or silver and insert the pipes into the old holes where the rear of the roll bar used to screw in.

Name:	Pirate Girl.jpg
Size:	300.9 KB
ID:	381678

Here is the paint I am using. Hopefully I have enough for the jeeps body. Now that I am accenting it in black, I wont need much and I do have a few cans of this stuff, but one can was already bad and I am not sure where the other cans stand at the moment... I suppose we'll see.

Name:	Paint.jpg
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	381679

Comment

No work on the Jeep this weekend... With two full days, there wasn't a minute to spare on the little project.

I'll see if I can manage to get something done on it this week after work. No promises.

What I am wanting to do is tape off everything that wont be getting hit with the Blaze Pink. Then see if I can coat the outer body. One, so that it is done and Two, so that I can see if I need more or if what I have is enough.

If I can manage to get that done, then I need to buy the black and possibly some of the chrome... maybe some glossifier and then coat the trim and some other detail pieces.

The interior will stay the light pink. I think it gives it a cool interior versus exterior look with no real effort on my part. Not to mention, the interior will be the most abused and used by the little feet and hands and I don't see the need to put something in there that wont stand up to the abuse. The plastic itself should fair well for that on its own.

I may have to replace the dash. I could reattach it, but one of the side view mirrors is cracked and there is really no good way to glue it or re-secure. Also, with the replacement part being less than $15.00, It just makes sense to replace it if possible and have this thing solid before my kids get hold of it.

So that's where I am essentially. Still trying to apply the first coat of paint/plastidip. Sorry no further pics to post at this time.
                              Last edited by G35Mike; 04-20-2015, 12:37 PM.

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X